Loading Amateur Bands

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptMac11

Premium Subscriber
I have an SDS200 which I have loaded with numerous systems using ARC536pro successfully. I am running into problems loading the amateur radio bands though. It shows them as being loaded yet I hear nothing and if I turn all systems off except those bands I get a "nothing to scan " message.
Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?
Thanks
Mac

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
There should be traffic on 2 meters and 70 cm ham repeaters, but the other bands are hit and miss. 6 meters and 10 meters FM are often silent, and HF SSB depends on atmospheric conditions and sun activity. Some 70 cm (440 MHz) repeaters have gone to DMR, and other repeaters use D-Star (no Uniden scanner can receive D-Star) or Yaesu Fusion (again, not receivable), and a few NXDN.

CaptMac11

Premium Subscriber
There should be traffic on 2 meters and 70 cm ham repeaters, but the other bands are hit and miss. 6 meters and 10 meters FM are often silent, and HF SSB depends on atmospheric conditions and sun activity. Some 70 cm (440 MHz) repeaters have gone to DMR, and other repeaters use D-Star (no Uniden scanner can receive D-Star) or Yaesu Fusion (again, not receivable), and a few NXDN.
Thank you!, I have a 996p2 with NXDN and DMR I'll plug them in there just tto see if I get lucky. I appreciate the reply and information.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
There are some Amateur Radio nationally-used frequencies in the RR DB but you will be better off by adding your local ham repeater frequencies into a Favorites list. What are your local repeater frequencies? Look here -
Repeaterbook.com - Home

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
If you are interested in a specific area look on line for a local ham radio club. Most list their local repeaters. The RR database and Repeater Book may not have complete listing. For my county RR has no listings whatsoever. Why? I guess no one (including me) ever submitted them. However, two local clubs have complete information on their web sites. Most activity is on 2 meters. We have four 220 repeaters here - almost never used. There are a few 440 repeaters. Also, one 1.2GHz with no activity. Some of the 440 band 1.2 repeaters are closed and have just a few users so you won't hear much. Closed repeaters don't show up in public listings in many cases. In general ham activity is much less than 20-30 years ago.

CaptMac11

Premium Subscriber
If you are interested in a specific area look on line for a local ham radio club. Most list their local repeaters. The RR database and Repeater Book may not have complete listing. For my county RR has no listings whatsoever. Why? I guess no one (including me) ever submitted them. However, two local clubs have complete information on their web sites. Most activity is on 2 meters. We have four 220 repeaters here - almost never used. There are a few 440 repeaters. Also, one 1.2GHz with no activity. Some of the 440 band 1.2 repeaters are closed and have just a few users so you won't hear much. Closed repeaters don't show up in public listings in many cases. In general ham activity is much less than 20-30 years ago.
[/Q

Thank you for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.