loading Ohio MARCS into an SDS100

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeus661

Almost Retired
Premium Subscriber
When I load the Ohio MARCS system into my SDS100 should I load the entire system or only the counties where I am at? My thought is if I only load the county I am in and the surrounding counties will it scan faster? Or should I not worry about it?

I know to put it in its own Favorite group

Thanks

phask

Premium Subscriber
For at home (not mobile) I only load the site(s) I know I will use. I also have location OFF.

Mobile is a different setup.

Number of sites slows scanning, around 2 sec. per site. Number of talkgroups does not.
YMMV

mc48

Premium Subscriber
You can load all the sites and simply permanently avoid them in Sentinel or in the scanner and if you travel you can then turn them back on.
You could also program them in and toggle them on or off with quick keys.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I load the entire state system and avoid what I don't want, therefore I am able to go back later, if needed, and unavoid TGs as I choose. I just like having the whole database at my disposal and in my radio for easy access. I am always curious and intrigued by all of the different ways people program their SDS100s - it seems no two are ever the same.

RT48

My SDS-100 never leaves my property and I am only interested in traffic of my suburban town and the towns surrounding it. I only have one MARCS site (Cuyahoga County simulcast) in my favorites list. I am only interested in listening to traffic in areas where I can visualize the geographic location where the situation is happening. Works for me.

Sting11

I have the entire MARCS-IP system loaded into a Favorites List, but I have range control turned on. I keep my range set between 0 and 30 miles depending on how far I want to try to hit sites. As far as I know limiting range speeds up scanning because the out of range sites are turned off. Correct me if I’m wrong because I’m open to a more efficient programming regime!

belvdr

No longer interested in living
I have the entire MARCS-IP system loaded into a Favorites List, but I have range control turned on. I keep my range set between 0 and 30 miles depending on how far I want to try to hit sites. As far as I know limiting range speeds up scanning because the out of range sites are turned off. Correct me if I’m wrong because I’m open to a more efficient programming regime!
I thought range was only used for zip code and/or GPS based scanning.

Sting11

I thought range was only used for zip code and/or GPS based scanning.
If the site has range data and the scanner has a location set, it'll lock out sites based on range regardless of whether you're scanning the database via zip code or scanning favorites lists.

You can input your home zip code in "set your location" in the menu.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
If the site has range data and the scanner has a location set, it'll lock out sites based on range regardless of whether you're scanning the database via zip code or scanning favorites lists.

You can input your home zip code in "set your location" in the menu.
Nice, didn't know that. Thanks!

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
All departments and system sites in the main database are tagged with their location and service range.

amcferrin90

Premium Subscriber
I copied the MARCS list from the main database into a favorite list, then removed the sites that there's a less than 50% chance of me being near. This gives me all the talkgroups from the whole state in case somebody roams in. Then I'll use the site lock function (top side button, then top middle button) to lock to a specific site. If I travel around the area, switch sites the same way. That was the simplest for me. No remembering favorite lists.

Status
Not open for further replies.