Local BC436 help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firefox89

Premium Subscriber
Ok, So I got the new 436 yesterday, I downloaded sentinel and programmed my favorites lists into it using quick keys. But with the MARCS IP systems, It will not let me use the assigned quick keys for some reason. They do not show up in the scanner while I am trying to scan, the only way i receive them is if I use the Zipcode feature. I also have a a problem with scanning display... I was playing around with the buttons when I got the display in some sort of three tiered system which I am unable to figure out how to get out of... any help would be awesome. In the picure you can see how the quick keys are still not showing up... I tried to follow the sentinel video that scannermaster has on their site, but i think i somehow messed it up. Thanks!

Attachments

• NCM_0029.jpg
    NCM_0029.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 391

Firefox89

Premium Subscriber
Ok, I believe I figured some of it out on my own. For the MARCS and MARCS-IP systems you have to leave that specific countys frequencies in like where it says lake county simulcast. Now... the quick keys are difficult, but i think I got them figured out too. You have to enter favorites list. System.channel in that order like say on my scanner lake county is favorites list 0, and my system is 0 and lake country police is 7 I would hit 0.0.7 to turn that group off?

TedRHayes

Some QK Tips

As you program FLs, keep these things in mind about QuickKeys (QK); there are three types of QKs:

FQK, Favorites QKs

SQK, System QKs

DQK, Department/Site QKs

Also keep these properties about each type of QK in mind:

FQKs: only one FL may be assigned to any given FQK in the 00-99 range. Any FLs that do not have a FQK assigned will be scanned (assuming the FL "Monitor Flag" is ON).

SQKs: one or more Systems may be assigned to the same SQK in the 00-99 range within a given FL. Any System within a FL that does not have a SQK assigned will be scanned. The order in which systems are scanned is controlled by its SQK: SQK0, SQK1, ... If multiple FLs are employed, all the SQK0 systems across each active FL are scanned, then the SQK1 systems, etc. (Note: not sure whether unassigned systems are scanned before or after assigned systems, but once the cycle starts it doesn't really matter.)

DQKs: while Departments and Sites are different, they share the same QK # space 00-99 within a given FL; one or more Departments (or Sites) may be assigned to the same DQK. Any Department or Site within a FL that does not have a DQK assigned will be scanned (subject to Location filtering if Location Control is enabled for the FL).

Hope this helps.

Swipesy

All I can say is Praise The Lord for the GRE (soon to be Whistler) method of programming scanners. I have used public service radios since 1 crystal and wire antenna and have never seen anything as confusing as the Uniden method with these new scanners. While I have figured Uniden's method out I sympathize with new users. Terrible.

TedRHayes

All I can say is Praise The Lord for the GRE (soon to be Whistler) method of programming scanners. I have used public service radios since 1 crystal and wire antenna and have never seen anything as confusing as the Uniden method with these new scanners. While I have figured Uniden's method out I sympathize with new users. Terrible.

While I agree that it can be confusing to operate these Uniden scanners, they can be operated in a relatively novice mode by just scanning the Full Database with the user input Zip code. But if a user wishes to employ more advanced control over what and how it scans, the power and flexibility provided by these Uniden scanner is unsurpassed.

I have the flexibility with the 436 to program multiple systems in my local area customized to my specific desires. At the same time, a month ago I traveled halfway across the country with my 436 attached to a GPS listening to different systems all the way that were automatically loaded as I traveled.

I've owned a GRE-800 for a few years, and there are some approaches they take to programming that I like. In many ways it is no less complex. On the whole, I personally prefer Uniden's overall approach. To each his own.

Also, at this point in time, if you want a scanner that can adequately handle P25 Simulcast systems, the 436 and 536 are your only real choices. My PSR-800 doesn't really do well with the Greene County Simulcast sub-system of the Ohio MARCS-IP system.

Firefox89

Premium Subscriber
As much as it sucked programming the scanner, I enjoy it because of how I wanted to program it by county and then by West and east sides and then by fire and police in different groups. I have the FD where I work programmed in there as a system along with the immediate mutual aid districts. My 396T was a hell of a lot easier to program and operate then the 436 but I will get used to it eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.