Local / DX switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shortwave2200

Premium Subscriber
My Aircastle has a DX local switch, it has 4 Resistors my question is, if I remove the resistors will it make the unit more sensitive?

Just bypassing the switch altogether....

The 2 antenna's are wired to the switch then to the receiver.

Shortwave2200

Premium Subscriber
Ok, I answered my own question again....

I clipped off the 2 resistors on the DX side of the switch and it opened everything up, I am now receiving stations with the whips really well, before it was hard to get the same stations on SW, FM, AIR and the PS bands.

If I switch to the local side of the switch it still works meaning that the signals are reduced, there is still 1 resistor on the local side of the switch so the local side works still.

So I am happy, I was initially disappointed until tonight.

ab3a

The reason for the local/DX switch is because sometimes when you're close to a broadcast station of some sort, you'll actually hear things BETTER if you put some attenuation on the antenna. You have not done yourself any favors by making that modification.

This is particularly the case in Europe and the Middle East. In North America it isn't as much of a problem because radio stations are usually limited to 50 kW maximum. However, in many countries, shortwave broadcasters are licensed for Megawatts of power (I'm not kidding!). When the first couple of stages in a receiver overload, it makes for problems across the entire band, and it limits the ability of your receiver to dig signals from the noise.

As for the FM, AIR and PS bands, most wideband radios have attenuators. As you go closer to urban areas, you'll find more and more interference may creep in to your listening. And strangely, though the signals will be weaker, you'll actually hear them more clearly if you set it to "local" instead of "DX".

Hope this helps...

Shortwave2200

Premium Subscriber
Well the local side of the switch still attenuates the signal, the DV side is more open when I removed the resistors from that side of the switch.

Now on SW, FM and the other bands I hear stations with the whip that I did not before, then I switch the switch to local and it reduces the signal a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.