Local emergency services switching to narrow band?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjo1981

Just heard an informational page from the local emergency services dispatch that said: "all radios and pagers must be brought in tomorrow for the switch to narrow band". Can someone tell me what that means? Will I still be able to listen to my local agencies' radio traffic?

Thanks!

RonnieUSA

Just heard an informational page from the local emergency services dispatch that said: "all radios and pagers must be brought in tomorrow for the switch to narrow band". Can someone tell me what that means? Will I still be able to listen to my local agencies' radio traffic?

Thanks!
Yes
The newer scanners will have no problems.
It doesn't mean they are changing channels.

In your sig You list a Uniden BC200xlt, it's very old, but it will still work, just won't be as loud as your use to.

Last edited:

kjo1981

Thank you for the quick reply. I know it's a noobish question, I'll research narrow-banding to get a better idea of what that means.

It is a very old scanner but it's served me well.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
A scanner that can not "do" narrowbanding can still be used to listen to a freq that has been narrowbanded, but what will happen is the sound quality will be less compared to a narrowbanding capable scanner that is listening to the same freq.

reconrider8

A scanner that can not "do" narrowbanding can still be used to listen to a freq that has been narrowbanded, but what will happen is the sound quality will be less compared to a narrowbanding capable scanner that is listening to the same freq.

thats what i was saying the total tone on the freq will be different not by much but you can tell how the tones sound off from what they did back when it was wide

Status
Not open for further replies.