Local Governments and Authorities Text

Status
Not open for further replies.

n2pqq

Premium Subscriber
I belive this may be a new thing in the database.

On my Uniden HP 1 this is shown on line two of the display followed by the town or city.

What is happening is that the above is taking up all the alpha charters on line two and not leaving space for the town or city.

Do we really need Local Governments and Authorities to be shown on line two .
Please go back to just showing town or city.

Take a look at the New York database for Orange county as an example.

Maybe just put Local Government on line two .

Is this just a New York database thing or all states ?

Last edited:

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I was the DB Admin who implemented the change on a few NYS county pages (notably the Hudson Valley). It was done to better organize the data, not to tailor it to any specific device or software.

Previously, the pages were a mess, with very little organization. You had every single County operated frequency grouped together under a single category and subcategory, followed by a list of every town/village/fire district in the same category with the County frequencies.

They are now broken out as follows:

- County Category
-- County Law Enforcement
-- County Fire
-- County EMS
-- County Government

- Local Governments and Authorities
-- Town A
-- Village A
-- Fire District A
-- Town B

etc.

These changes were in keeping with the guidelines of the Database Administrator Handbook. Again, we do not tailor the DB for any one particular device or software package.

However I would be interested in seeing exactly what the layout looks like on the HomePatrol. We may be able to find a compromise, perhaps by shortening the "Local Governments and Authorities" text.

If you have the ability, please take a short video of the HP's display and upload it to YouTube so that I can see what it looks like. Thanks.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Fred, would changing the text of the category to the much shorter "Local Agencies" alleviate the issue?

n2pqq

Premium Subscriber
That would help, I would say use Orange County as Category

The same thing applies to Rockland County.

If you could move this to the New York Forum I am sure you would get more feedback and suggestions.

I would hope someone there would be able to post a video before I get around to it.

The way it reads now is 30 letters, that is to long

Thank You

Last edited:

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
"Orange County" is already a category for the countywide Police, Fire and EMS subcategories. The point of the "Local Governments and Authorities" (or "Local Agencies") category is to separate the individual towns/villages/fire districts from the countywide entries.

Again, we will not tailor the database for any one device or software, but I do realize that the text is currently pretty long and can be shortened without compromising the layout or catering to a single device.. The goal is to organize the database page as logically as possible. I've gotten positive feedback on the changes from several users and NYS DB Admins.

n2pqq

Premium Subscriber
Then go with Local Government or Local agency that would free up 15 letters.

Thanks for looking into this matter

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
The category heading has been changed to Municipalities.

I would still like to see a video of how the HomePatrol was displaying Orange County. If anyone reading this thread with a HomePatrol can pull up Orange County, NY and make a short video of what n2pqq was describing, I'd really appreciate it.

n2pqq

Premium Subscriber
The category heading has been changed to Municipalities.

I would still like to see a video of how the HomePatrol was displaying Orange County. If anyone reading this thread with a HomePatrol can pull up Orange County, NY and make a short video of what n2pqq was describing, I'd really appreciate it.

Thank You

Status
Not open for further replies.