Local Media?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I am beginning to get the shack refurbished and renovated and realigned since my relocation from Pasco County, Florida, and starting to see some progress. All that's left is Antenna Day, which is scheduled for next Wed., then everything will be up and running! I haven't had a real home-based radio shack to speak of since 2010, so it feels good. I am now officially retired from the transportation industry and ready to get the shack going. Updated pictures are forthcoming.

I am programming my BCD536 and WS-1065 as well as a Pro-2006, and I am seeking media frequencies. Remote broadcasts, ENG teams, news station choppers, etc. I have all that is documented in the RR database, but I am sure there are more. I learned from experience that when something big happens, sometimes you can learn more listening to those guys. Example:

In May of 1998 I lived in Holiday, Florida, which is extreme north Pasco County about 25-30 miles north of Tampa/Clearwater. On May 19th a convicted violent felon named Hank Earl Carr caused a lot of chaos in our area. He killed his girlfriend's son with an assault rifle, then when he was handcuffed in the backseat of a police car he got out of his cuffs (apparently with a hidden key) and wrestled one of the officer's guns from him and shot and killed both detectives, then later he killed a Florida State trooper, then took a female cashier hostage at a gas station off of I-75 (very close to our home) and barricaded himself inside. Surrounded by 200 cops and SWAT members, he eventually killed himself after releasing his hostage. I monitored the entire ordeal for several hours, listening to several law enforcement agencies as they negotiated with him, but the best information came from the news teams, and not by broadcast but conversing with each other about what they were seeing. I also had it on TV, and the real blow-by-blow was from the media on the scene and in the air, not so much from LE. They (the media) were later chastised publicly because they aired a live phone interview with Carr from inside the gas station as he negotiated with law enforcement officials. Police argued that it hindered their operations during the standoff. I'm sure I would agree if I were a police officer. But, as an amateur radio operator and a scanner enthusiast, I was grateful for their controversial coverage of this terrible event and the lesson learned.

Since then I have always dedicated a specific group of channels (i.e. FLs, groups, etc) of media frequencies that I turn to in the event of major news happenings. I live in Fairborn, so I have looked for such freqs in Montgomery and Greene and Clark counties, but the listings are scant and not so active. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated - thanks!

73s,

JD
kf4anc

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
I am programming my BCD536 and WS-1065 as well as a Pro-2006, and I am seeking media frequencies. Remote broadcasts, ENG teams, news station choppers, etc. I have all that is documented in the RR database, but I am sure there are more. I learned from experience that when something big happens, sometimes you can learn more listening to those guys. <snip>

Since then I have always dedicated a specific group of channels (i.e. FLs, groups, etc) of media frequencies that I turn to in the event of major news happenings. I live in Fairborn, so I have looked for such freqs in Montgomery and Greene and Clark counties, but the listings are scant and not so active. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated - thanks!

First, welcome to Ohio! Besides the forums here, there's a VERY active monitoring group called MONIX which covers Southwestern Ohio, but primarily the Cincinnati-Dayton corridor. They have a very active Yahoo group and a web page at Monix as well as monthly pizza parties and an annual picnic (which happened just last Saturday). I usually try to make it over to the pizza parties two or three times a year but I missed the picnic this year due to very heavy rain and flooding in my area.

As far as media frequencies, my first suggestion would be to check the MONIX list at the web site, as well as join the Yahoo group and post a query there. Also search the 450-451 and 455-456 MHz ranges (although I suspect most of what you'll find would be remote broadcasts when they're actually on the air).

In general, most of the media outlets in Ohio now use cell phones for the sort of thing you describe; if there's any two-way use at all it's primarily by the engineering folks.

Last edited:

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Hey thanks, Tom! I am familiar with the Monix name, as I downloaded one of their lists recently and had a lot of fun with it. I didn't know about the Yahoo group or the meetings! I will certainly check that out.

Down in Florida we had a group called the Central Florida Listener's Group. It was great, those guys had the frequencies - everything from Taco Bell drive-thrus to the NASA space shuttle retransmissions. They had a weekly net on a local 2m repeater that was very popular, even provided a telephone gateway for those who were not licensed so that they could participate in the net. It was great motivation for lots of folks to get their FCC license as well.

Thanks much for the information, Tom. I really appreciate it

JD
kf4anc.

Status
Not open for further replies.