Local P25 problem solved for BCD436HP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
That may be exactly what's happening, Smokchsr. I'll see if I can find out.

The part I don't understand is why my other, older radios decode this system more effectively. Despite the 436's overall lack of signal sensitivity, it seems to do a pretty good job on essentially all the P25 systems I've had a chance to monitor with it so far.

This new system is still in transition from EDACS to P25, so that may also have something to do with it.

Thanks for the tip!

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
Hello again, Ghstwolf.

Could you please explain a little more about what you mean by the second sentence in your message above: "Once its showing change the levels while its receiving transmissions and look for best decode rate which would be closest to zero."?

Do you mean that I should somehow change the levels manually while the P25 adjustment mode display is showing? I thought the levels are supposed to change automatically in the display as the radio receives traffic.

Thanks for the help!

I've heard they don't. I've heard its better to set it to manual and find what's best for a particular system. If you set it to manual and then hit Function-Push Vol Knob in-Function-Push Vol Knob in, then you get the decode rate to show up along with where you have it set. From there you can change the setting and watch the decode rate at each change to find best one. Change setting by pressing Function button then turning vol control knob to number you want to try. It is turnable for a few seconds then you have to hit Function again to be able to change it again.

The setting which gets you closest consistently to 0 is the one you want. Some systems won't go down to 0 so you'll be looking for closest to, while others will.

For me I found 7 to be best setting for STARS system but 8 for another. I've heard people say 4 or 5 and 11 or 12 works better. Its all what's best for you in the end.

Hope that helps a bit. It does sound like you may have hit on something with it being a simulcast system.

Status
Not open for further replies.