Local paper using RadioReference feeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deziel0495

PE/NB Database Guy
Database Admin
I don't see how this would be allowed since us feed providers are not allowed to do this.

Feed broadcasters are allowed to embed their feeds in their own web pages, for free, provided they use ONLY the following process for doing so:
First, you need to apply for a domain key:
Your Account - API Configuration
Make sure the domain that you specify to be licensed is the domain you plan on embedding the feed. Once approved for a domain key, follow the instructions in the "Embed Feed in a Web page" section on your feed owner page to add the player.

I'm not sure how they did it, but i'm positive it's not allowed by RR.
The only way a feed can be embedded, is by using the method above.
All other methods are NOT allowed.

kma371

QRT
Well, what stops the iPhone app makers who use the feeds here in their apps? It's a public feed, I don't think there are any rules. Once it's out there, it's out there.

GordonE

Live Audio Administrator
Feed Provider
Well, what stops the iPhone app makers who use the feeds here in their apps? It's a public feed, I don't think there are any rules. Once it's out there, it's out there.
App developers pay RadioReference.com a licensing fee to be able to include the feeds in their directories.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
I can tell that the way it is encoded in the page, it is un-authorized.

It is a total copy-n-paste job

GordonE

Live Audio Administrator
Feed Provider
Nope, other than the incentive program Lindsay put in place recently where providers receive rewards if their feeds reach 500 listenets, 750 listeners, etc.

The licensing fees paid by apps creators are designed to help make pay for the additional bandwidth consumed by their apps since listeners using those apps will, in many cases, never visit the RadioReference.com web site and have the "opportunity" to click on the ads.

Last edited:

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
I don't see how this would be allowed since us feed providers are not allowed to do this.

I'm not sure how they did it, but i'm positive it's not allowed by RR.
The only way a feed can be embedded, is by using the method above.
All other methods are NOT allowed.

Looking at their page, and the RR Web Player popup page for the county, it appears that they just copied and pasted the source from RR to their page. Definitely not allowed by the rules, but if they aren't members here, how would they know what the rules are?

jmsanders83

KC8JSU
Premium Subscriber
So, what exactly are the rules? I might be missing them...

I was thinking tonight that it may drive traffic to my feeds if I reached out to my local news stations to see if they wanted to somehow link to my feed. I cannot find any "rules" on this type of activity. People that visit news websites have a particular interest in knowing what's going on so this seems like a perfect way for radio reference to attract new listeners. If the news organizations are linking to the landing page of the radio reference live audio feeds, this would generate advertising income if someone clicked on an advertisement.

-Josh

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
The rules for feed providers are that you can use RR generated code to place a player on your own site-no where else. Based on the posts, at least one feed provider of that county was unaware their feed was being used by the newspaper. This news agency is using RR's code to place the player on their own webpage (and it's not even the code that RR provides for the providers, it's the straight source code of the player from the RR site). If they've licensed this with RR, it should be indicated beyond the "Live Audio Feed Provided by RadioReference.com" link that is there, and the link should be to the front page of the site, not to the county page, as it limits revenue potential. I may be completely off, but it looks to me that they're just stealing RR's bandwidth.

Status
Not open for further replies.