Local PD requests my feed be delayed :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

APSN556

Premium Subscriber
Just got the dreaded call we all hope we never get from the local police department. The officer was very nice, but said after my feed being up for nearly 4 years, the time has come for us both to reach a possible compromise. He kindly asked if we could delay our audio for at least 5 minutes. He went on to say that more and more suspects are being caught with their cell phones playing their transmissions, and that he's worried it is having a negative impact on the capture of suspects.

I searched the forums for this topic, as I'm sure its been hashed out before, after my search yielded 9 pages, I searched for an hour. I didn't get anywhere. SO my question lies here. Is a delay feature not possible do to the cost involved or something else? I'd really like to know. Is it something that's even been considered.

Frowning in Flagstaff-
Chad

QDP2012

Last edited:

APSN556

Premium Subscriber
Bummer. I really wish they would reconsider this proposal. Its a reasonable compromise in my book to a department going fully encrypted. At this rate, 5 years from now the number of online feeds will be much lower due to this issue.

Nasby

I feel for you man. You're kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place.

On the one hand you want to do right by the cops and have a good relationship with them (especially if you are with the media). On the other, you want to enjoy the feed.

If it were me, I think I would keep the feed up though.

Hopefully, your feed doesn't single handily cause your local PD to go encrypted.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Find a way to delay it and youre set!
Leaving it up as was ,is going to get the radio reference board on their s-list,dont do it please!

APSN556

Premium Subscriber
Find a way to delay it and youre set!
Leaving it up as was ,is going to get the radio reference board on their s-list,dont do it please!

Lol! Trust me, this site and it's board has been on the "s-list" of hundreds of departments since long before my small town feed came along.

fredva

Feed Provider
I understand the situation you are in. If there is a positive, it's that they contacted you to try to work something out instead of just turning encryption on without any warning.

If a delay isn't possible (and RR policy has been that there aren't any delays beyond a minute or two), I noticed that your web site (flagscanner.com) apparently posts reports of some incidents as they are happening or shortly afterwards. Maybe you could continue listening to the police yourself and post interesting calls on the web site and Twitter, etc, in a manner that would not tip off criminals, as an alternative to a police audio feed.

APSN556

Premium Subscriber
I've actually thought of that as a viable solution. I already delay our written posts about calls, but removing the feeds would certainly curb the issue with crooks and their mobile apps. Thanks for the feedback!

APSN556

Premium Subscriber
If I take the feed down for only a certain time of day, I guarantee you they would say that the off times have made their officers safer and more crooks are apprehended. That would then turn into a very solid argument on their side for turning the feed off altogether.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
If you are NOT running your feed through Broadcastify, then you can delay as much as you want. Or if you use an Uniden and run ProScan.. you can have any kind of feed you want on it.. and ProScan is not being fed through phone apps... Bob doesn't allow it I beleive, and they would have to pay him for rights to do so.

wtp

IMHO

yes, it is great if people want it up to the minute but,
i think a longer delay would be great (15 minutes or more)
hear it out, don't just yell...
if all the feeds were delayed long enough
by the time we hear it on tv we could then go to the feed and get the original call out.
real time is no factor, just that we can hear it at all is great.
i don't have the answers, but i just like my questions.
just some food for thought.

APSN556

Premium Subscriber
I did so more searching on these forums for a possible reason as to why the delay isnt even an option to the feed providers, and the board has made it very clear that it will never happen. I fear it's taboo to even be talking about it... and after reading the reactions of the ranking people here, on RR I'm surprised this post hasn't been locked yet. I just for the life of me cant figure out what the big deal is with allowing a delay? I see absolutely no harm coming from it. Make it optional. Yes, I've seen a few posts where volunteer firefighters rely on the feeds for their calls, but frankly that excuse is baffling and darn right scary. If the dispatcher is sending an EMERGENCY call that is intended for YOU to quickly respond to, then gosh darnit they need to give you a two way radio! That's just craziness! If the people you protect and take an oath to save in the event of an emergency are at the whim of some guys scanner feed, then God help them. I'm sure your turnouts cost 3 times what an actual used scanner does.

QDP2012

...I just for the life of me cant figure out what the big deal is with allowing a delay? I see absolutely no harm coming from it. Make it optional. Yes, I've seen a few posts where volunteer firefighters rely on the feeds for their calls, but frankly that excuse is baffling and darn right scary. If the dispatcher is sending an EMERGENCY call that is intended for YOU to quickly respond to, then...they need to give you a two way radio!...

Similar opinions have been expressed by others in the past. Some volunteers (who have been issued pagers/radios) listen to feeds in their workplaces because radios/pagers do not function reliably/at all (due to building construction), and/or because radios/pagers are not allowed (due to physical-premises-security requirements).

Hope this helps,

SShuster221

Feed and Calls Provider
Feed Provider
When i owned LiveFirefeeds.com, some of my feeds for a while had passwords. For the reasons of blocking the public, but allowing faithful scanner listeners, fire department personal, also the media. Just kept out the common folk. Might be something RR can look into.

SCPD

QRT
feeds

I dont get the whole feed thing anyway,most people on here have 9 + scanners,why do you need them?
Futhermore it causes havoc with the departments and pushes encryption,makes your 9 + scanners soon to
be obsolete,I myself like listening,but what happens when theres nothing to listen to ?
It costs the feed provider bandwidth and electricity use....Whats the perk?
if you want to stream ,do it for yourself ,privately like with the 536HP.
And if radio reference made it a pay service it would benefit themselves.

kd7ckq

Chad, it is one of the major reasons I stopped the Grand Canyon Feed. A delay option would improve officer safety. If your stopped by the police while having a scanner in your car. You are asked to turn it off during the stop. But, with streaming feeds, someone could be listening to it via their phone and the officer would be none the wiser.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
The only times we allow a delay on a feed is if it is provided directly by the agency and marked as an official feed. Call the officer back and see if they are willing to provide the feed themselves...

Status
Not open for further replies.