Local PD & SO goes private

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwko

As the title says my local law enforcement have gone private this week. And I've got a nearly new TRX-2 just sitting here. Reckon they'll ever be a way for me to hear these channels again or should I try and sell this scanner to recover some of my $$?

Franklin County, Arkansas

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
Nothing else uses two way communication in your part or the world except PD and SO? <sarcasm>

SCPD

QRT
Sell it!

Nothing else uses two way communication in your part or the world except PD and SO? <sarcasm>

Sell it,once they go encrypted they are never going back,trust me.
There are still other things to listen to Ham,Airplanes,Trains,EMS,etc.
It does suck if thats what you bought it for.You can always check
online listening if they provide for your town or not at any given time,who knows maybe they will change systems.(not likely)

That's horrible. I was down at white rock a month ago and enjoyed listening to them. You can't listen to encrypted comms with it.

jwko

That's really the only reason I bought it. Just for the local PD & SO.

I do have other counties programmed such as Logan CO, Paris PD, Fire & ect, but I think they may have went private as well. Only things I've heard in two days is the ASP troop H & J, Johnson County SO and the Franklin CO EMS just now.

I'll wait a day or two and see what happens.

N8IAA

I do have other counties programmed such as Logan CO, Paris PD, Fire & ect, but I think they may have went private as well. Only things I've heard in two days is the ASP troop H & J, Johnson County SO and the Franklin CO EMS just now.

Have to ask the obvious question> Do you have your county programmed in conventional DMR mode? As well as, Logan? If they went encrypted, it will sound like the old voice inversion used decades ago. If that is the case, then you are SOL.
Let us know.
Larry

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber

What antenna are you using?

As already mentioned put DMR under conventional, set mode to DMR and DMODE to digital. Put all DMR in its own playlist. Also see Digital Frequency Search and use quick import.

jwko

Yes I have them in conventional using DMR. No scrambled audio. In fact not even a key-up from Franklin & Logan the past two days.

They announced it on our local news yesterday is how I found out about it Franklin County Sheriff

Using the stock antenna.

Machria

Premium Subscriber
Nowhere in the article does it say "encrypted", it just says "private". Are agencies now using the word "private" in place of encrypted?

Anyway, if you are getting nothing, your not on the right frequencies... Are you sure they didn't just move a "private system" (aka on different frequencies...) of their own, rather than use the local municipalities "public" system?

In any case, since your TRX2 is now absolutely useless, PM me and I'll take it off your hands for $20 to cover shipping! :D

BrianG61UK

That article refers to "a private radio frequency" and "a private channel".
I guess that's just uneducated talk for encrypted but it seems odd they wouldn't call it encrypted.
But maybe it's something simpler.

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

Some have a mistaken belief that just going digital will make transmissions private. They may have been told that no scanner will pick up DMR. It would not be the first time this has happened.

73 Eric

SCPD

QRT
I too would not jump to any conclusions on this one .. until you have 100% proof they are 100% encrypted, then I would not be concerned.

They rely on the fact that the public, and member on the street have no idea about their radio system to help spread the fact they do not want to be listened to.

But from what I have seen, this is nothing like in Canada where I am from where there is a huge push to encryption for all first responders. So consider yourself lucky.

AlphaFive

radio uses

Good morning jwko, I send this advice with the best of intentions, and in no way do I mean any criticism. The radio you purchased has an incredible ability, you really should spend some time working with it. An entire world exists to listen to beyond repetitive traffic stops. You have the ability to initiate a 'Limit Search' from 25.000 Mhz up to 1300.0000 Mhz, and anywhere in between.
There are bands that hold strange sounds, and people hijacking bands from the government, speaking foreign languages... I have spent forty years scanning bands and still learn something new every day when I pick up something I have never heard before. The radio you purchased is manufactured to receive systems that that no "scanner" ever has. There is another brand that will allow you to choose modes of transmission, or KHz. steps to monitor.
My point is, experiment, and experiment some more. You might just get hooked on finding something unknown and letting everyone else know that you found something pretty cool. Give it a chance, and search. Good luck to you, and take care.

wbswetnam

I monitored Franklin County SO (yes, Arkansas) yesterday afternoon. They changed the DMR parameters but it is still unencrypted! The slot and talk group are different now. Set your slot, color, and talk group to wildcard (*).

jwko

TY wbswetnam, I made those changes and now receiving FCSO.

I appreciate the advice AlphaFive. Sounds interesting. First I need to learn this scanner as I can just barely program it. But I'll eventually get there.

AlphaFive

TRX 2

Excellent, you picked a great Forum. There appear to be many people here willing to help out, as long as someone is willing to ask.. Good luck to ya

Status
Not open for further replies.