Local PD went digital

Status
Not open for further replies.

CenaHBO12

Premium Subscriber
Fostoria, Ohio PD went digital now I can’t find their Frequency . What can I do? I have whistler WS1065 digital ,does anyone know how to get my town PD back up and running Or is it my scanner? is it not good enough to pick up Fostoria police Department ? Lol

tvengr

Well Known Member
The WS1065 will not receive DMR. For your location, I would recommend a Uniden BCD996P2. You will need the DMR paid upgrade. You can install it yourself and save money instead of ordering the scanner with it already installed.

budevans

Since you are already accustom to programming GRE/Whistler scanners, you should consider the TRX-2 or TRX-1 scanners. The TRX scanners come with DMR and NXDN, you don't have to pay extra for those like you would if you buy a Uniden scanner.

Plus, you can upload your current WS1065 programming into the EZScan program that comes with the TRX scanners. Then download it to the new TRX scanner. At that point you'd only have to add the programming for the new DMR systems.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Keep in mind when purchasing a new scanner that the free DMR and NXDN included with the Whistlers is free for a reason. The TRX series radios do not have the ability to properly trunk track those systems. They will only scan the voice channels without the ability to use the trunk tracking information from the control channel to accurately follow conversations. In small, rural systems with not much traffic, that may be satisfactory in those situations.

The Uniden scanners use a paid upgrade for NXDN and DMR because they must pay licensing fees on each scanner they sell to legally include the technology that uses the data from the control channel to accurately follow conversations on those systems. If you are in an area where those systems are very busy with lots of traffic, it could make a world of difference.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Keep in mind when purchasing a new scanner that the free DMR and NXDN included with the Whistlers is free for a reason. The TRX series radios do not have the ability to properly trunk track those systems. They will only scan the voice channels without the ability to use the trunk tracking information from the control channel to accurately follow conversations. In small, rural systems with not much traffic, that may be satisfactory in those situations.

It's a conventional (non-trunked) frequency, so "proper" trunk-tracking isn't an issue. Fostoria is not a large place (great place to watch trains, though).

I wouldn't necessarily say Whistler radios "don't properly track" these systems and the debate over whether it really works or not seems highly subjective; it seems to me they just do it differently. Your mileage may vary, but I've never had an issue tracking trunked DMR or NXDN systems with my TRX-1.

The OP couldn't go wrong with a TRX-1 or TRX-2.

budevans

I don't own a BCD996P2, but my TRX-1 out performs my Uniden BCD436HP and SDS-100, when it comes to monitoring DMR both conventional and trunked. If I didn't have the TRX-1, I would have only a small number of the DMR systems in my Uniden scanners. I have to use a small Yagi antenna with the 436 or 100 to receive those DMR systems. The TRX-1 receives them with no issue with it's supplied antenna.

In side by side comparisons, my TRX-1 doesn't miss any DMR traffic, trunked or conventional that the Uniden's receive.

According the the RR database the Fostoria PD is using a conventional single repeater DMR, not a trunked version.

Status
Not open for further replies.