Local Police Dept.'s to CHP Frequencies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CZ

Anyone know what freq.'s local Police Dept.'s use in the Central Valley area of California to contact CHP? Have heard PD refer to going to the CHP channel, or the CHP frequency.

RolnCode3

Up here (Sacto), only the helicopters have the CHP channels for mutual aid. Since CHP uses the conventional lowband, however, I guess anyone could program it in. They probably either use a patched trunking channel (depending on where you live), or just have the conventionals programmed in. Just a guess.

CZ

From what I gather from on-air references, the freq (or freq's ???) are mainly used PD Cars to CHP cars.
Far as I know, there's no Fresno/Clovis PD, or CHP Trunking in this area.

Scanner: Uniden BC785D

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
CZ said:
From what I gather from on-air references, the freq (or freq's ???) are mainly used PD Cars to CHP cars.
Far as I know, there's no Fresno/Clovis PD, or CHP Trunking in this area.

Scanner: Uniden BC785D

I remember from my Kern County days a very effective mutual aid system devised out of necessity and lack of funds...

Basically when KCSO and CHP wanted to talk, they would each switch to their own frequencies in simplex mode. They would then tune their scanners to the other agencies channel, and as long as they were close enough, not only could they communicate, but they could do so in full duplex!

Gee, all that and no APCO25 compliant multi million dollar radio systems! Imagine that... :twisted:

-AZ

SAR923

I agree. It's probably asking them to crosstalk through scanners. We do this all the time up here. Even our dispatch will talk to CHP through our scanner on the CHP frequency and the CHP scanner on our S.O. frequency. It does work very well considering it's not a plan ever developed or funded by a government agency. :)

Tweekerbob

Up here in El Dorado county, east of sacto, we have extensive mutual aid between the sheriffs, police (placerville), county fire, CDF, CHP, and USFS. Since all but the CHP are on VHF-hi, they all have pre-programmed in the units, radios that can and do access each others repeaters. CHP even has a vhf-hi radio system, for CLEMARS, extender, among other uses.

It is very common for a CHP officer to pop up on the Sheriff, fire, CDF repeaters. There is much communication among all of the groups on each others frequencies. In fact all of the above mentioned agencies are regular visitors on el dorado county sheriff's frequencies.

One other place you can try to hear inter-agency traffic is the California lawnet frequency in your area. For the original poster down in kern county I believe it was, the freq is 158.790. Ours up here in NorCal is 155.070. You commonly hear SOs and PDs dispatchers relaying information to CHP and vice versa.

Status
Not open for further replies.