Local scanner help

Status
Not open for further replies.

PAstevedave

I was looking to purchase a handheld scanner for use in my home and surrounding area but I'm not sure where to start. Im looking to budget around $150 max for my unit. I don't know enough about my area to be sure I'm getting the right thing. I know they have Internet scanning or cell phone apps but I want a shtf radio in case of emergency situations where I might not have access to the others.

I live in Franklin County, Pa. Greencastle to be exact. Can anyone help me out? I figured this would be better to ask in my state forum instead of the General section.

SlipNutz15

Feed Provider
I would suggest a GRS PSR-500. Unfortunately they're a little more than your price max but the reason is because of Franklin County's new system. Franklin's new system is a P25 UHF Trunked system and it requires a better scanner. The upside to the PSR-500 is it's portability, decoding speed and it's upgradable. Also, the scanner can be programmed via computer with software and it connects directly to RadioReference's database and download's only the systems you wish to scan. The software is very user friendly and takes very little computer/radio knowledge to understand how to operate.

GRE America, Inc. - grecom scanner receiver, lcd modules, spread spectrum radio, wireless bridge, scanner antenna, scanner pre-amps. is the link for the scanner but I suggest looking on eBay or elsewhere online for a cheaper deal. Send me a PM if you have any questions.

markandjere

Premium Subscriber
You are going to need a digital scanner for sure....... The good thing about that is you will be able to listen to Wash. Co. MD as well. There are a few members on here from Franklin Co. that will be able to help you if needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.