Local scanner repair - StL area

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpm3

I've been approached by a young fellow asking for help and advice with his PRO-106. He has recently experienced a loss of all signal reception except for the very strongest local channels - and those only faintly. My understanding is that this model has a history of problems with the BNC connector and its connection to the circuit board. At my urging he already took it to the local (Kirkwood) Radio Shack with a request that it be sent back to RS for diagnosis and repair. The clerk with whom he spoke seemed unwilling to do so, urging the fellow to buy a new scanner as this would be cheaper(!!!) - almost certainly a palpable falsehood. Given RS's lack of cooperation, I'd like to suggest a local shop that can properly diagnose the issue and (if economically feasible). Is there such a reasonably priced and conveniently located shop in the local area that he could try?

sphipps

Radio Shack certainly does have service centers in operation across the US. It's best to take the scanner to a corporate owned Radio Shack. I believe all of the stores around St. Louis are corporate owned... but don't go back to Kirkwood for obvious reasons. They will require a $20 nonrefundable estimate fee and will send the scanner to the nearest service center... probably Lenexa, KS (SW Kansas City). They will get in contact with you and if you agree to the repairs, the estimate fee is applied towards the repair.

If it's something simple like a BNC connector problem, you're looking at $50 to $75 tops. Well under the price of a new PRO-106.

Good luck!

Scooter-stl

I brought my Radio Shack Pro 93 in for repair and after a few weeks they sent back a brand new Radio Shack Pro 164. :up:

This was a couple years ago, so I forget the details, but a $20 deposit sounds familiar. I think I ended up paying ~$75 after all was said and done.

Sometimes a screw might come loose or fall out of the BNC connector. If you are the least bit handy, it's a very simple repair. I've had to resolder a wire on some of my old scanners Uniden or Radio shack models. I'm pretty sure it was antenna related.

sphipps

My only experience with Radio Shack repair was about 15 years ago with a PRO-2004 taken out by lightning. The estimate came back about $250, so I told them to forget it... but I did want it back. I didn't hear from them for about 3 months. Finally i went to a store and they put a trace on it. I got the scanner back... fully repaired... and they refunded my $20 estimate charge. Apparently one of their techs presumed I didn't want it back, took it home, and repaired it. I heard they reprimanded the guy somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.