Local School District Listening

Status
Not open for further replies.

domtheavgeek

Hello,
I recently found out the frequencies for one of my local school districts and started to try listening. After listening for about 5 hours I hadn’t heard anything, so I am now coming to this forum to see if anybody would know why. Could the frequencies possibly be encrypted?

Thanks,
Dominic

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Perhaps there's not much happening in your school district. :) Check the database on this site and look for "E" in the "Mode" column associated with the district you're trying to monitor. What school system is this (name, county, and state)?

domtheavgeek

Perhaps there's not much happening in your school district. :) Check the database on this site and look for "E" in the "Mode" column associated with the district you're trying to monitor. What school system is this (name, county, and state)?
The frequencies are not on the radio reference website, it is Guilderland Central School District in Guilderland, NY

k2hz

Database Admin
Can you give some specific information about what you are attempting to listen to? If the frequency is for school bus transportation it should be heard throughout the district but if it is in-school admin or security it may only have on-campus coverage.
Some school districts may also have low power, portable only, frequencies used for things like sports and special events.
Many school districts that have their own licensed frequencies have now switched to area trunked systems for additional features like GPS tracking and wide area coverage.
And, yes, a few school districts have gone to encryption due to special circumstances.

domtheavgeek

Can you give some specific information about what you are attempting to listen to? If the frequency is for school bus transportation it should be heard throughout the district but if it is in-school admin or security it may only have on-campus coverage.
Some school districts may also have low power, portable only, frequencies used for things like sports and special events.
Many school districts that have their own licensed frequencies have now switched to area trunked systems for additional features like GPS tracking and wide area coverage.
And, yes, a few school districts have gone to encryption due to special circumstances.
My main attempt is for the transportation department, in-school would be nice, but not needed.

k2hz

Database Admin
I looked at the license for Guilderland, WQFS214, and the frequencies likely to be used for transportation are 452.0125 and 461.5375. What frequency are you listening to?

domtheavgeek

I looked at the license for Guilderland, WQFS214, and the frequencies likely to be used for transportation are 452.0125 and 461.5375. What frequency are you listening to?
I have all of them inputted into the scanner and I am constantly scanning.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
What model scanner are you using to monitor? Have you tried enabling ID Search (Uniden) or wildcard talkgroup (Whistler) to determine if perhaps they've changed talkgroups? If they went encrypted you'd be able to sit on the talkgroup listed in the DB and it would flash ENC briefly, maybe emit some garbled audio depending on what scanner you're using

domtheavgeek

What model scanner are you using to monitor? Have you tried enabling ID Search (Uniden) or wildcard talkgroup (Whistler) to determine if perhaps they've changed talkgroups? If they went encrypted you'd be able to sit on the talkgroup listed in the DB and it would flash ENC briefly, maybe emit some garbled audio depending on what scanner you're using
I am using the Uniden BCD325P2, do you mean the Close Call feature?

k2hz

Database Admin
Since it appears they are on the Albany P25 system, do you have their specific TG programmed. Your scanner may not have the "Schools" TG enabled by default.

Status
Not open for further replies.