LOCATION CONTROL - help !

Status
Not open for further replies.

llwade

Premium Subscriber
I have tried reading about the subject but just don't get it. Hoping someone can make it real simple for me,
  1. how do I enable / disable TG-IDs, in a Favorites List.
  2. how do I set Location Control to ON, for a specific Favorites List
I am trying to do this without a GPS, for now.
I know how to set up the current Zip Code, in the scanner
To select correct Zip Codes, I thought I would use Google Maps on my iPhone

Thank You for your time

N4ANJ

Premium Subscriber
By the keyboard? To do TGID's :
Menu > Set Scan Selection >Select Lists to Monitor > scroll to list you wish to enable (ON) or disable (OFF) > push scroll button to turn on or off
> Menu > Menu > Menu.
Menu > Manage Favorites > select a favorite list > scroll to Use Location Control > select on or off > Menu > Menu >Menu > Menu.
Personally I would turn OFF location control on everything. It makes life a lot EASIER!

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I have tried reading about the subject but just don't get it. Hoping someone can make it real simple for me,
  1. how do I set Location Control to ON, for a specific Favorites List

Thank You for your time
The app Global Zip, on your iPhone, will give you the latitude and longitude of your location, plus identify the Zip Code.

For the x36HP and SDS series scanners, Location Control can be set for a given list in the Options tab for the Favorites list when editing in Sentinel. N4ANJ has already noted where it can be changed on the scanner itself.

llwade

Premium Subscriber
N4ANJ thank you for your quick response
interested in your response, "Personally I would turn OFF location control on everything. It makes life a lot EASIER! "

are you saying, while traveling, simply:
  1. turn on a Favorites List
  2. press the ZIP Services button / enter the local zip code into scanner

llwade

Premium Subscriber
Steve. thank you for your input appreciate it as well
I am going to try your info as well and see if I paid attention

N4ANJ

Premium Subscriber
Well, if you have a favorites list you normally WANT to hear it. Why limit the range on it. About all frequencies now have a pl or dcs tone or a nac. If you venture out of an area even if the same frequency is in use the chance of a tone or dcs being the same is pretty minimal, so you wouldn't hear anything anyway. I set up my favorites list pretty specific for what I want to hear. I may break a favorite list into a specific fire, ems, police rather than all in one. If you are using GPS connected and mobile your receive range will be much less than when you are home based and if using a rubber duck antenna you will want to hear everything you can possibly hear which with the range off will give you that capability.

trunker

1. how do I enable / disable TG-IDs, in a Favorites List.
  2. how do I set Location Control to ON, for a specific Favorites List

Thank You for your time
While receiving the ID, press once to temporary avoid or twice quickly to permanently avoid.
Or, go to manage favorites, review/edit system, select system, edit department, select dept, edit channel, edit TGID, set avoid.

Go to manage favorites, review/edit system, select system, use location control. Set to On.
You don’t need a GPS to scan by location if all of the following apply:
1. You have 'Use Location Control' set to On for each Favorites List you want to use with Location Control.
2. You must set (by zip/post code, Auto Locate, or manually), a location.
3. Your Departments and Sites must have locations and ranges programmed.
4. Any Department/Site with no location information programmed will not be scanned.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Well, if you have a favorites list you normally WANT to hear it. Why limit the range on it.

For me I'll use Location Control for my Favorites Lists because many of them are location specific. So if I'm in Louisville KY (home) and travel to Lexington KY 90 miles away, there's no reason to scan my Louisville FL in Lexington as I'm too far away to hear anything. However as I get closer to Lexington, I want the FL for that area to come on.

So when I build FLs in Sentinel, I'll go to the options tab and turn this setting on. Fortunately I have a GPS device, which is almost "mandatory" equipment for scanning more than 50 miles or so from home.

Yes I realize this is defeating the purpose of the full database, but I'm getting more aggravated with trip scanning because too much stuff comes on. There are systems that have birdies, intermod, and other junk that is wearing out my Avoid button. So I bit the bullet and built Favorites Lists.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Get the GPS.

A good deal of the functionality of these radios is the ability for them to be set it up to automatically change to the services you want to hear where you are at - as you move about.

It takes some work to get it set up properly (rectangles), but once you do, it is really worth the effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.