Location of new FDNY Medical Boat ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

emcomm

In May of 2012 4 new fast 'Safe Boats' went put into service, one a FDNY Medical (EMS) boat "Water Ambulance" and three new boats to replace the old 25' seasonal SAR boats.

It is my understanding the old SAR boats were stationed at:

Brooklyn: Kingsboro (& Coney Island)
Queens: Ft. Tottin (& The Bronx)
Staten Island: Great Kills Park

It is purely a guess on my part that the new EMS boat may be near Coney Island, as this is where the most people are in the water.

PDF boat schematic: http://goo.gl/Bm7MZ

--Does anyone know?

thanks

Attachments

• tumblr_m301csaXtd1r40j69o1_500.jpg
    tumblr_m301csaXtd1r40j69o1_500.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 5,082

tbendick

Premium Subscriber
Als marine units.
Marine 1 Manhattan and marine 9 Staten island big boats

Bls marine units
Marine 6 big boat Brooklyn
Then marine 1bravo, marine 6bravo and marine 9 bravo in service now or soon to be.

Marine 3, 4 and 8 are cfr only.
Marine 1a, 6a, and 9a cfr only

Then there will be a dive response boat.

dplally

Premium Subscriber
Is this boat staffed by members of FDNY Marine unit or are they cross training FDNY EMS to serve as pilots??

tbendick

Premium Subscriber
Boats are manned by firefighters of all ranks.
Marine 1 and 9 have 2 Firefighters, 1 wiper, 1 marine eng, 1 pilot and 1 officer.

Summer boats are just 2 FFºs

Also add Marine 9E as the little boat that is on the back of Marine 9. Ñot sure if Marine 1 has the same markings

dplally

Premium Subscriber
I understand the manning of the large boats. I was inquiring about the "water ambulance". FDNY firefighters function as CFRs, not EMTs, so I would imagine that some form of EMS staff must be onboard. Given the overall relationship between the EMS side and the fire side, I was wondering how this boat was going to be staffed.

FrankRaffa

ALS boat? BLS boat? Medical boat? Water Ambulance?

After 24 years I consider myself somewhat experienced in line apparatus but I have never heard of these units. Someone want to clue us in?

tbendick

Premium Subscriber
The Bravo Marine units such as Marine 6 Bravo are EMS boats. They are staffed by the associated marine company but have setups for EMS to come aboard.

Frank due you have access to the Intranet at the CO? If so I can send you the link, it was posted on the EMS section explaining the equipment and uses of the boats from an EMS point of view.

Pretty much all the boats but the Marine 3, 4, and 8 now have NYS EMS Part 800 certification. With Marine 1 and 9 being ALS

dplally

Premium Subscriber
Aha, now that makes sense. Here in Boston, the BFD marine unit carries only firefighters, however during the summer, the Boston Police Harbor patrol is manned with a Boston EMS member detailed out for the day and evening tour. They ride with the PD wherever they go throughout the day.

FrankRaffa

I'll look for it Tom. Thanks. That explains the last cryptic change to dispatch policy concerning floaters.

tbendick

Premium Subscriber
Makes no sense to me that they are doing all this. It's like having an ambulance driving around with 2 firefighters in it.

If they are going to say that the boats are ALS or BLS, then they should have the proper staffing from EMS on board.

Status
Not open for further replies.