Location of NOPD Tower/s

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinkfish457

Does anyone know the locations for the NOPD/NOFD transmitter towers. I live in Slidell. I was traveling over the twin-spans to New Orleans and just as I reached the south shore, I started picking up NOPD.

Did they once have a transmitter at Irish Bayou and was it destroyed in Katrina?

There is one on top of the galleria on causeway, the airport (MSY), bridge city (main site), twin tower by the river, and one at the navy base

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

n5ims

Did they once have a transmitter at Irish Bayou and was it destroyed in Katrina?

None of the Katrina area system is still in use. The users were all moved to LWIN and the system dismantled.

As far as any of the NOPD towers being destroyed in Katrina, The entire system remained intact and for the most part working until generator failures (due to damage and/or running out of fuel) caused the system to shut down. The Irish Bayou tower was isolated due to a microwave antenna being moved by the wind enough to fail the link, generator issues caused power failures, and there was damage to some equipment, but most remained undamaged. It's widely believed that if the authorities had allowed the radio technicians back into the city the system would've remained operational through the flood, at least if they were able to get replacement parts and fuel delivered.

An interesting read on the NOPD system during and after Katrina is here --> TUSA Consulting

Irish Bayou site - unfortunately discovered that Hurricane Betsy's and Camille's flood profile did not accurately match Katrina's. This raised site's shelter had flooded to approximately 18 inches, ruining the backup generator, shelter air conditioner, two repeaters stations, and power supplies for the multiplexer equipment and a UPS for the Site Controller. The site's generator propane tank was ripped away by the storm's tidal surge and the receive antenna was bent off-axis.

Status
Not open for further replies.