• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Locked Icom F-3161

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radio99

Premium Subscriber
I have an Icom F-3161 that I am attempting to read with the software however the radio is locked (password protected) and I have forgotten the password. Is there any around this or does the radio have to go back to Icom?

jeatock

Premium Subscriber
If the radio is read-protected...

Your only options aside from having (or guessing) the password are:

1) Find your archived copy of the .icf file that is in the radio now, which you kept in a safe place... right? Reload the saved .icf file into the cloning software, and enable "transceiver data out" before cloning to the radio, or,

2) Write a new file and start over.

A new file created by the cloning software can be loaded directly into the radio. Different from other manufacturers, Icom puts the radio-specific tuning and alignment information in a separate "Maker Reserved" section that is not touched when you simply create a new file and write it to the radio, so a new one will work just fine.

Did you try 123456, 000000, etc?

FPPD134

Next Step

I tried 123456, 000000 etc wont work.

when I try to write a new file asks for password...

Whats my next step???

jeatock

Premium Subscriber
Did you try 123456, 000000, etc?

Once I thought I was wrong , but I was mistaken...

The read/write password on the newer models is indeed a read/WRITE password. Not looking good, but I will query IA tech support and see if there is a solution that does not involve hammers and other implements of destruction. The password is indeed a nasty bugger:

Read/Write Password

Enter an up to 16-digit password for the read/write password function.
When a password is set, the programmed password is prompted and required at trying to read or write from/to the transceiver using this software.
To turn the function OFF, set no password for the item.

Usable characters:
Numbers (0 to 9), capital letters (A to Z), small letters (a to z), symbols (! " # $ % & ' ( ) * + , - . / : ; < = > ? @ [ \ ] ^ _ ` { | } ~) and space.

NOTE:
Do not forget the programmed password.
Otherwise, you cannot read and write from/to the transceiver unless the internal parts of the transceiver are exchanged.

Last edited:

jeatock

Premium Subscriber
The read/write password on the newer models is indeed a read/WRITE password. Not looking good, but I will query IA tech support and see if there is a solution that does not involve hammers and other implements of destruction.

from I-A Dealer Tech Support:

Greetings,

Sorry, there is no way to program the radio unless you put the right password in it. You will need to send that radio in and we will need to replace the cpu on it.

Thank you,
Harry Dhawan
Land Mobile Technical Support Representative
ICOM America, Inc.
2380 116th Ave. NE
Bellevue, WA 98004

Harry is the man, so that should cover it.

Status
Not open for further replies.