log your SW catches here:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragon48

They transmit from Greenville, North Carolina. Isn't that also one of the VOA's transmitting sites? It's a greater distance from me here in Western Canada at over 2300 miles, but they always come in strong here on various frequencies during the daytime and in the early evening. I've often mistaken them for RHC.

Correct - VOA comes from the same site:

RHC usually comes in for me at 6000 kHz. Should be great reception for me, as Havana is only around 1,300 miles away, but I suspect that some local interference takes up some of the bandwidth, and the spoken voice is usually faint. Sometimes, in spite of a strong signal on the frequency, I can't get any reception. I'm just learning my SDR software, but 6000 always shows too much of a thin straight line without any nearby peaks. I've seen proven local interference cause the same visuals.

dragon48

WHRI 5920 2:15 UTC

As always, the folks at WHRI work hard to spread the faith. Getting the reception like a strong, local A.M. station with a simple wire antenna. Can also get very good reception with only a telescoping antenna.

dragon48

Radio Romania International 6130 2:25 UTC

Good enough signal to pick up the spoken French and music, (some kind mixed news and music format) but plagued with local interference and waves of static. Good enough reception to get a Shazam Hit. They played a clip from "Omul padurii" by Ducu Bertzi.

Last edited:

GB46

Correct - VOA comes from the same site:

RHC usually comes in for me at 6000 kHz. Should be great reception for me, as Havana is only around 1,300 miles away, but I suspect that some local interference takes up some of the bandwidth, and the spoken voice is usually faint. Sometimes, in spite of a strong signal on the frequency, I can't get any reception. I'm just learning my SDR software, but 6000 always shows too much of a thin straight line without any nearby peaks. I've seen proven local interference cause the same visuals.
Back in the 1960s I was told of a VOA transmitting site near Bound Brook, NJ., perhaps a relay. At that time I was a ham in Central Jersey, and one of my regular contacts, who lived in Bound Brook, complained bitterly about interference from their transmitters. I remember having seen a big antenna farm in his area; perhaps that was the one he was complaining about, but I'm not sure if he was right when he said it was the VOA's site.

As for RHC, they used to come in very strong here, but I haven't been able to hear their English broadcasts for nearly a year. I can still pick up their Spanish language broadcasts, and sometimes I hear them faintly in English during the daytime on 15140, but not strong enough to hear what they're saying. When they used to come in strong the audio was so poor that it was all I could do to make out what Arnie Coro was talking about on DXers Unlimited. That was the only show I wanted to listen to.

dragon48

Radio Romania International 6020 kHz 4:22 UTC.

Excellent reception (fading in and out a little though) from 4,684 miles (7,538 km) away.

English language news program about Romanian musicians.

4:32 UTC - "Surpriza" by Aura Urziceanu.

GB46

At 17:20 UTC (9:20 AM local) the Voice of Korea is booming in at S9 on the R75 with 23 ft. of wire indoors. This is on both 9435 and 11710 kHz. The strength is the same on the Sangean ATS-909x with just the whip (likewise indoors). This is possibly the strongest I've ever heard them. The broadcast is in Korean, with the usual generator noise in the background of their audio.

Last edited:

GB46

13710 kHz: BSKSA Saudi Arabia coming in pretty strong, with some fading, at 17:39 UTC (10:39 AM local). Religious services in Arabic.

11710 kHz: Voice of Korea, North Korea even stronger at the same time, very little fading. Music with Korea announcements. This time there's no generator noise on their signal, and I can't hear them at all on the alternate frequency of 9435.

GB46

Radio Nacional Amazonia is a real powerhouse this evening at 01:45 UTC on 11780 kHz! They're coming in like a local on both the R75 and the ATS-909X. The latter receiver is using just the whip. RNA is just as strong on my old Sony ICF-2002, this also with just the whip and on battery power. All three radios are inside my apartment with no outside antenna. RNA has excellent audio, too, but they sound best on the ATS-909X.

KM4OBL

Authorized Personnel
06/29/2020
14345 Khz USB
19:46 UTC
NTS Traffic Net - the ARRL website lists this frequency for the Pacific area traffic net on Mondays, but I'm not sure how up-to-date that information is. A female was reading traffic messages. Fading and a fairly high noise floor made hearing the details impossible.

GB46

BSKSA in Saudi Arabia coming in unusually strong here on 13710 kHz at 15:50 UTC (8:50 AM local), with a moderate amount of fading. This is a direct broadcast from Riyadh. The language is Arabic, and the content is mostly religious chanting, with some announcements at intervals -- none of which I can understand, of course.

This is with my Sangean ATS-909x portable inside my apartment, with just the whip as an antenna.

Last edited:

ridgescan

BSKSA in Saudi Arabia coming in unusually strong here on 13710 kHz at 15:50 UTC (8:50 AM local), with a moderate amount of fading. This is a direct broadcast from Riyadh. The language is Arabic, and the content is mostly religious chanting, with some announcements at intervals -- none of which I can understand, of course.

This is with my Sangean ATS-909x portable inside my apartment, with just the whip as an antenna.
NICE catch on the whip!

ridgescan

I love this time of year when the other side of the world starts coming in stronger.
1835UTC 15420kHz Radio Itahuka at 11,000 miles from my QTH on the R8600 and the big roof antenna:)

majoco

Stirrer
Late afternoons here, say 0400 to 0600 UTC the BBC relay from Oman on 9440kHz is easily as strong as the Radio Greece right next door on 9420, 10 to 20 over S9. The strange thing is that the BBC relay is beaming 320 degrees which makes me believe that I'm getting him on the long path rather than on the gray line, as he is well into daylight at that time.

GB46

NICE catch on the whip!
Like I've mentioned before, I hear just as much that way as with 23 ft. of wire on my R75. When conditions are good, it really doesn't take much to receive SW broadcasts. When I was a kid living in New Jersey I used to have a cheap transistor radio with some international SW bands. I can remember walking around the living room with the whip extended hearing a strong signal from Radio Peking (now Beijing), and it wasn't via a relay.

ridgescan

Saturday 21:20 UTC to 22:00 UTC (sign off)

Listening to the VOA African broadcast coming from their Seleb-Phinkwe transmitter in Botswana. English - Playing contemporary pop music. - Using an IC-7600 with a three element SteppIR beam. Solid +20 dB.

Online schedule for the station --> Short-Wave Radio Frequency Schedule for site Selebi-Phikwe
What frequency? I get VOA Botswana every night on 6080 and 5925kHz between 03-0400UTC. Give that a try too. That region is coming in real good lately.

ridgescan

Like I've mentioned before, I hear just as much that way as with 23 ft. of wire on my R75. When conditions are good, it really doesn't take much to receive SW broadcasts. When I was a kid living in New Jersey I used to have a cheap transistor radio with some international SW bands. I can remember walking around the living room with the whip extended hearing a strong signal from Radio Peking (now Beijing), and it wasn't via a relay.
I wish you could get more than 23' of wire outside. 23' is just a hank of wire. A longer wire would give that poor R75 a better chance at "being all it can be". But I understand your situation there.

Status
Not open for further replies.