Logging info in the state forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

nwiscan

I cant seem to find the info by searching, are there restrictions / legality issues about logging police and fire calls a person hears on a scanner in state/regional forums? I am just curious more than interested in posting stuff.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
I'm not sure what you are asking but I will take a stab.

As long as what you are hearing is not a tactical or surveillance situation, and is of interest to the community you are addressing you can post incidents in the Breaking News sub-forum of your regional area. If your area doesn't have a Breaking News sub-forum, you can post it in the regional forum.

In other words, if you are listening to a SWAT operation, don't post it. If you are listening to a multi-vehicle accident, that is okay to post about. A large fire, involving multiple alarms is okay, a trash fire in a dumpster is not. Also, use your best judgement about posting incidents involving public figures, if your post can be perceived to be political, it probably will receive moderator attention; although some folks might be interested in the activities of Kim Kardashian, we are not. Let common sense be your guide.

Jim41

I cant seem to find the info by searching, are there restrictions / legality issues about logging police and fire calls a person hears on a scanner in state/regional forums? I am just curious more than interested in posting stuff.

First, I suggest that you visit the Live Audio Administration Forum and read the following three sticky threads:
- Legality of RadioReference Live Audio Broadcasts and Archives
- Law Enforcement Feeds - TOS Clarified
- Feed Providers Terms of Service - What can and cannot be broadcast

Second,
Apply common sense in determing what is appropriate to be posted:
- No information which could endanger emergency personnel; such as on-going SWAT operations, surveillance operations, or potential drug buys.
- No information which could assist someone in breaking the law, avoiding detection while breaking the law, or avoiding prosecution after breaking the law; such as identifying a location where the buglar alarm is out of service.
- No information which could financially damage others; such as social security number, date of birth, or other information which could lead to identity theft.
- No information which could damage the reputation of others; such as mentioning the names of individuals who have been involved with law enforcement.

Third,
Visit the Indiana Radio Discussion Forum and read the posts in the Indiania Incidents and Breaking News sub-forum to see examples of what have been generally accepted.

I realize that I have provided more information than you requested. It is a weakness of mine. I talk too much. Hopefully, it will provide a comprehensive perspective on this topic for you and other readers.

Jim41

Status
Not open for further replies.