Logging uids

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonm10

Central MN Monitor
Premium Subscriber
Using Proscan to log and record uids. What is a tell all sign that it is a mobile or portable. Also, when they 10-7 or 10-8 for duty, can I assume portable radio?

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Using Proscan to log and record uids. What is a tell all sign that it is a mobile or portable. Also, when they 10-7 or 10-8 for duty, can I assume portable radio?

In most cases it depends how the radio techs set up the system, but usually unless someone has mapped out the system it's hard to impossible to tell other than listening. As for the 10-7 or 10-8 it depends if they are in the car or out of the car, again no way to tell. For example, if they take the car home they may be in the car, if they don't they might wait until they are in the station lot and out of the car.

marksmith

Not only is it impossible to tell, the assignment of uid's can be done over the air reassignment that unit as another unit.

Most systems if it is reasonably sized have tens of thousands of uid's. In many cases you will find keeping a current table of uid's is very near impossible unless you are a system administrator and can download a fresh list daily because that is how often that some systems can change them.

Its fun to try but as you continue to listen you will learn how often they change and then you need to describe them more generally.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber

Like noted above, it's hard to tell from just the number. You might be able to see a pattern, but that isn't always the case. Our local area had a decent "system" to Unit IDs and you could tell a fire unit from a police unit, etc. But as the system expanded, new units did not follow they system.

I tried for the expansion units, but as Mark said, it is a daunting task.

Calling 10-8 or 10-7 is also agency dependent.

Reconrider

I have found users on CT’s clmrn trunk that’s had 3-4 unit ids to one radio. I stopped trying and only logged the dispatch.

Status
Not open for further replies.