• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Lonely old new CBer from far south suburbs of Chicago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdog58

Just a shout out to anyone in the far south suburbs of Chicago still using CB.
Bought an inexpensive setup for shiggles a couple months ago. Boy is anybody out there any more ?
Major Tom to ground control, is there anybody out there !

swen_out_west

Yeah, I'm seeing the same thing down here. Very little local AM traffic. Did go high and hear some people this evening on SSB up high, but with my setup for the next few days there's no way I'll reach them, and even then I doubt it without playing their pirate games and using a linear amp.

Before some HAMS jump in about the anarchy/craziness of CB, it sounds like a bunch of HAMS since it started off with 'Kxxx, Radio Control' on CH22,, and of course they're using 3 freqs to do it due to splattering. I don't care, just wondering.

Last edited:

swen_out_west

Actually, I answered that question myself, sounds like the guy that leads the group might be both a HAM and CB aficionado, which is totally okay. I want to chime in to ask him some questions about equipment they are talking about, but they probably won't hear me anyways.

Delta33

Bought an inexpensive setup for shiggles a couple months ago. Boy is anybody out there any more ?
Elton John would be more likely to answer your call.

KD8DVR

CB use has dropped considerably, due to illegal amplifier use and illegal long distance users, ruining the service for local use. With the decline of the solar cycle, the illegals will have their efforts thwarted. Hopefully, this will allow locals the ability to talk and bring about a resurgence in use.

AntiSquid Disclaimer: All comments are personal opinion only and may not imply actual fact.

KD8DVR

Yeah, I'm seeing the same thing down here. Very little local AM traffic. Did go high and hear some people this evening on SSB up high, but with my setup for the next few days there's no way I'll reach them, and even then I doubt it without playing their pirate games and using a linear amp.

Before some HAMS jump in about the anarchy/craziness of CB, it sounds like a bunch of HAMS since it started off with 'Kxxx, Radio Control' on CH22,, and of course they're using 3 freqs to do it due to splattering. I don't care, just wondering.
Some hams do bring a shame on the rest of us.

AntiSquid Disclaimer: All comments are personal opinion only and may not imply actual fact.

JayMojave

Hello BD58: Yeah hang in there theres always a few out there on the local scene. Sure the CB Traffic has dropped down but still locals and skip stations out there.

Our group still has a few get togethers and BBQ's, and antenna raising parties, we even have our own token elitist's ham guy there, who loosens up after a few totties.

Yeah the snotty and unfriendly hams have sure turned off a lot of new prospective new hams big time.
But chin up theres still a great bunch of hams out there, just like a great bunch of CB'ers out there.

Jay in the Great Mojave Desert

bigdog58

Hello BD58: Yeah hang in there theres always a few out there on the local scene. Sure the CB Traffic has dropped down but still locals and skip stations out there.

Our group still has a few get togethers and BBQ's, and antenna raising parties, we even have our own token elitist's ham guy there, who loosens up after a few totties.

Yeah the snotty and unfriendly hams have sure turned off a lot of new prospective new hams big time.
But chin up theres still a great bunch of hams out there, just like a great bunch of CB'ers out there.

Jay in the Great Mojave Desert

Jay,
I felt that it would be quiet when I first decided to play with the CB thing again, but didn't think it would be this quiet. I'm gonna stay in for now through the winter months here in the fabulous Midwest. May go another route after that although I don't think it will be ham. Thinking maybe GMRS, I am hearing several guys on repeaters in my area.
Dog

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Thinking maybe GMRS, I am hearing several guys on repeaters in my area.
Dog
I live in NW Indiana (Hammond) and am a member of the North Shore Emergency Association (NSEA), a group that was founded in 1966! We have three GMRS repeaters up and active currently.

We have a net every Sunday evening at 7pm CST on 462.675 (PL 141.3). This repeater is locate on top of the Lutheran General Hospital.

bigdog58

I live in NW Indiana (Hammond) and am a member of the North Shore Emergency Association (NSEA), a group that was founded in 1966! We have three GMRS repeaters up and active currently.

We have a net every Sunday evening at 7pm CST on 462.675 (PL 141.3). This repeater is locate on top of the Lutheran General Hospital.

Bill,
Thanks for the info. Are these repeaters strictly for use as public safety and or are they also used for recreational transmission ?
I have a lot of info to look at prior to attempting to get into GMRS This site seems to have most everything I may need to know. Any other suggestions for someone completely new to GMRS ?
Thanks, Dog

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Bill,
Thanks for the info. Are these repeaters strictly for use as public safety and or are they also used for recreational transmission ?
They are open for any licensed GMRS operator to use freely, with the understanding that any emergency or priority traffic takes precedence. :wink:

Sporrt

They are open for any licensed GMRS operator to use freely, with the understanding that any emergency or priority traffic takes precedence. :wink:

I've listened to the net, and looked at the NSEA site.
From what I read, permission is required.

TheSpaceMann

There is some activity in the Chicago area. Are you using a base station antenna?

k9rzz

When I lived in Milwaukee a year ago, there was lots of activity due to the freeways running through town. Now, 25 miles west there is a lot less traffic, but the land is mostly corn and they don't talk much, however there are locals on now and again.

k8krh

Look under mygmrs.com or gmrs repeaters on search, they have listed repeaters in every state for GMRS and more coming on daily, You have to join but it is free.
DOCTOR/795

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
I've listened to the net, and looked at the NSEA site.
From what I read, permission is required.

From what I know, since I am a member of NSES, is that the repeaters are open to any licensed GMRS user, which is one of the reasons why the PL is the national "traverler's" tone of 141.3... :lol:

For anyone who lives in the area and wishes to use it regularly, it would only be polite to ask for permission.

EDIT: While myGMRS.com is a somewhat useful site, there are many systems listed that no longer exist. The database is 'self maintained' so those who've dropped out rarely come back to delete their listing!

swen_out_west

Now that I have a CB with Scan there's more traffic out there than I ever thought, However, it is a lot of the big power and skip traffic, alot of radios just don't have the oompf to talk back to them. But it's fun to listen to. I get so bogged down with clutter that I turn my squelch way to high so that I only rcv local traffic, then when I go to talk I forget and can't hear the handhelds. I'm going to start my scan list so that I don't have to listen to the Spanish guys down south and Ch6 Superbowl (can't understand most of them anyways).

Disclaimer: as some have suggested a good base antenna on my other thread, I am mobile with a Wilson 1000 antenna and do not anticipate building a base station in the near future.

I was skipping into Litlle Rock from the Upper Mojave Desert in CA yesterday, kind of cool. We both had to dig for each other but we did have a short conversation.

Last edited:

TheSpaceMann

Now that I have a CB with Scan there's more traffic out there than I ever thought, However, it is a lot of the big power and skip traffic, alot of radios just don't have the oompf to talk back to them. But it's fun to listen to. I get so bogged down with clutter that I turn my squelch way to high so that I only rcv local traffic, then when I go to talk I forget and can't hear the handhelds. I'm going to start my scan list so that I don't have to listen to the Spanish guys down south and Ch6 Superbowl (can't understand most of them anyways).

Disclaimer: as some have suggested a good base antenna on my other thread, I am mobile with a Wilson 1000 antenna and do not anticipate building a base station in the near future.

I was skipping into Litlle Rock from the Upper Mojave Desert in CA yesterday, kind of cool. We both had to dig for each other but we did have a short conversation.
Well when you do eventually get a big base antenna topside, you'll be able to speak to a lot more of those skip stations!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.