Lonely skies

Status
Not open for further replies.

spanky15805

0707z, one JetBlu, one Delta, 4 United and a bunch of American, the rest are box hualers. Never realized how many 747 and 767 are hauling freight.

Attachments

• empty.png
    empty.png
    831.5 KB · Views: 53

danesgs

yes its sort of like 9/11 when everything flying was shut down. creepy for sure, I would expect it being even more creepy seeing the pilots and crew staff wearing face masks. What ever happened to William Shatner screaming about a creature on the wing tearing the cowling off an engine, damn I miss those days...

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
The best part about nightmare at 20,000 ft was that William Shatner was actually able to grab someone's gun?, knock the window out of the plane at 20000 feet, hanging out the window going hundreds of miles an hour and shoot the gremlin.LOL

Very eerie to see that screenshot.

Last edited:

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
The best part about nightmare at 20,000 ft was that William Shatner was actually able to grab someone's gun?, knock the window out of the plane at 20000 feet, hanging out the window going hundreds of miles an hour and shoot the gremlin.LOL
Thought that was John Lithgow..

Delta's CEO stated that they are only operating at 5 percent of their normal operating capacity. Let that sink in. The largest airline in the USA is only running 5 percent of it's normal load. He also went on to state it would take "2 or 3 years" for Delta to recover once this situation is over. That is, if it does end soon.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Yes I think that screenshot we saw is very telling. A lot is being done on both fronts, the war against the unknown virus and the utter destruction of the economy but I don't think anybody is appreciating the reality of either one yet. How can we?

I don't know if we have the capacity in our thinking to really recognize the reality here. Still trying to process it myself.

Then again, we are the USA, we have that going for us!

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Story on the radio news this morning said that FAA is going to cut hours at some ATC facilities "to help preserve the health of their staff" or words to that effect. I would assume that this applies mostly to general aviation airports where traffic is down even farther than at major airports (where they can't really cut hours too much if at all without affecting the airport's safety rating).

cg

Premium Subscriber
If an Airline gets money under the CARES Act (stimulus) they are required to maintain a certain minimum number of weekly flights from each airport they serve. The DOT spells out the number for each airline at each airport in DOT Order 20-4-2.
My local airport, BDL (Bradley Intl Airport, CT) goes from 555 scheduled flights per week to a minimum of 29 scheduled flights. I would imagine they can do more, but have to have a minimum to prevent an area from losing all scheduled service.

Thanks to Juan Brown from the YouTube Channel Blancolirio for posting the info about it.

kb7gjy

Feed Provider
One has to wonder how service is going to change to incite customers back. Obviously slowly adding flights but I mean things like; lower fairs, added service, removal of baggage fees, better service, more spacing with seating, better meals, etc.

N8IAA

One has to wonder how service is going to change to incite customers back. Obviously slowly adding flights but I mean things like; lower fairs, added service, removal of baggage fees, better service, more spacing with seating, better meals, etc.

I'm sure you meant entice, not incite. Don't want to incite passengers at the airport. TSA wouldn't like it. o_O

N8IAA

True, lol.

I then remembered the United Airlines "issue" 3 years ago. So I guess it could go both ways. LOL

The Delta news is getting a lot of coverage in the Metro ATL area the last couple of days. Considering the billions of dollars in revenue they take in yearly, they'll recover in no time once the bans are lifted.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
Story on the radio news this morning said that FAA is going to cut hours at some ATC facilities "to help preserve the health of their staff" or words to that effect. I would assume that this applies mostly to general aviation airports where traffic is down even farther than at major airports (where they can't really cut hours too much if at all without affecting the airport's safety rating).

Already happened almost a month ago.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Already happened almost a month ago.

Maybe in your neck of the woods, but the airports hereabouts have been running as per normal except for the reduced traffic. Perhaps a phased approach by the FAA...

Xray

Easy to cherry pick a dead screen shot at 3am, traffic is down obviously but typically quite a bit in the air during peak hours, this one from today at 6 pm

I would say a majority of 747's remaining are hauling freight these days.

aaUntitled.jpg

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
Maybe in your neck of the woods, but the airports hereabouts have been running as per normal except for the reduced traffic. Perhaps a phased approach by the FAA...

In everybody's neck of the woods. I've been on the telcons for over a month. The altered schedules and hours were rolled out over a month ago nationwide.

It is not going to affect every airport, i.e. you're not going to find LAX, DFW, ATL etc. closing at 10pm nightly. But the centers, TRACONs, towers have been operating on reduced controller staffing and alternate schedules for over a month, and the smaller towers that are able to operate reduced hours have as well.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
Here are some numbers ya'll might be interested in. :)

These figures are a year-to-year comparison of operations for March. April numbers dropped WAY more, but those aren't available completely quite yet.

Core 30 Airports
March 2019: 2,311,602
March 2020: 955,832

ASPM 77 Airports

March 2019: 3,580,029
March 2020: 1,478,457

All Towers
March 2019: 9,612,966
March 2020: 3,879,277

TRACON Operations (All)
March 2019: 7,751,788
March 2020: 3,147,175