Long Island Looking to buy new scanner

Don57

Premium Subscriber
I live in Suffolk County on Long Island and I’m looking to purchase a new handheld scanner. With my current scanner (Home Patrol) I listen to SCPD , SC Fire Division 1, local townships like Islip and Huntington , along with the villages of Lindenhurst , Amityville , Babylon , Massapequa Park , NYPD , FDNY and fire departments in southeast Nassau County. I am no longer able to listen to Town of Babylon , which I enjoyed listening to and was always very active. I believe they are now phase 2. Would the uniden sds100 be the best choice ? The last scanner I purchased was the Home Patrol 1 when it first came out which has not been updated in quite a few years. I no longer have a PC so my second question is would the sds100 or other scanner be able to be updated thru a phone ? Thanks in advance for any advice. Also is there much using DNR , NXDN or ProVoice to make those upgrades worthwhile ?

Last edited:

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Well first of all I live in Pennsylvania LOL, I moved to New York, West Islip, in 1969. I lived in Suffolk County, Hauppauge, Kings Park, Babylon.. eventually moved to Nassau County. Lived quite a while on Long Island and returned in 1985 to Pennsylvania.

Depending if you are on the North Shore or the South Shore, you mentioned both, there is so much to listen to.

Yes the SDS 100 is a great radio with a aftermarket antenna.

If you want to be in the game, you have to purchase a computer, maybe a used outlet that will sell you a laptop with Windows 8.1.. that'll work. That will give you Sentinel, that's how you will program your radio to cover everything that's not encrypted.😉

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I am no longer able to listen to Town of Babylon , which I enjoyed listening to and was always very active. I believe they are now phase 2.
Town of Babylon is phase 1 and just not a busy system. Most activity on it is the senior buses.

I no longer have a PC so my second question is would the sds100 or other scanner be able to be updated thru a phone ?
PC or laptop is needed to update the scanner..

Also is there much using DNR , NXDN or ProVoice to make those upgrades worthwhile ?
You should be the one to make that call. Have a look thru the database. No Provoice but there is NXDN and DMR..