Long Range Comms on a fixed freq

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevenpinto

I'm thinking of getting my license but wanted to know something first.

I'm in Colorado, have a brother in WI and another in MA. Is it possible to communicate with them via ham on a fixed frequency?

JnglMassiv

It is possible but there's a bunch of gotchas.
For example, you won't be able to contact them any time, day or night, any day.
Some bands are stronger during the day and some during the night.
Some days, even if the time and band are right, you wouldn't be able to reach out for all the power in the world if the propagation is particularly bad.
You'd probably find that there are times that you can reach one brother but not the other or that they can reach each other but not you.
And it will all depend on the equipment in use at the three stations. This is especially true of the antennas.

Soooo... Maybe.

w2xq

Mentor
And the amateur radio license is not a license for a specific frequency... wired or cellular telephones would be cheaper and more reliable.

Last edited:

LtDoc

A really good 'maybe' is about as definite as you can get with that question. That also assumes that all three of you are hams and can use the same frequencies/bands.
So, if you are looking for absolute dependability then the answer is probably no.
- 'Doc

But then...

Spankymedic7

DSTAR is always an option, and you don't need to worry about which band to use, atmospheric conditions, etc. Just need a HT, and a DSTAR repeater in each brother's respective city.

KK4DAN

DSTAR is always an option, and you don't need to worry about which band to use, atmospheric conditions, etc. Just need a HT, and a DSTAR repeater in each brother's respective city.

Technically if they were going the DSTAR route, even not having a Dstar repeater wouldn't be a deal killer. There is always the DV Dongle to talk through your PC or the DVAP which allows you to use an HT and talk through the DVAP into to your PC and into the internet. No repeater necessary around. Or build your own Dstar repeater Hot Spot. Lots of choices there.

Dstar would be a reliable way for them to connect while HF would be give it your best shot.

KK4DAN

I wonder if EchoLink would be able to do it.

Yeah, it would work too. It goes over the internet too. You can pretty much run EchoLink from anything with only the basic software. PC, Android Phone, Iphone, iPad, and of course an RF repeater linked in with EchoLink.

k9rzz

I'm thinking of getting my license but wanted to know something first.

I'm in Colorado, have a brother in WI and another in MA. Is it possible to communicate with them via ham on a fixed frequency?

Yes, I think you can do this with pretty good regularity, BUT you will all need a General class license and at least a modest station set up at each. It CAN be done, though, and is regularly by others doing the same.

You guys with your Skype and Dstar. You're funny
icon7.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.