Long Range Cordless Phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

jabu

I have been investigating a lot about Long Range Cordless Phones and would like to know if anyone here can tell me if (at 237mhz to 240mhz) this will cause interferece that could create problems. I would be using the system in Mexico so I'm sure the rules are different down there.

I apologize if this is in the wrong section.

Jason

ReceiverBeaver

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Range always depends on transmit power and antenna gain and height. The frequency used doesn't so much matter at VHF and above. If you can homebrew your own custom gear or whatever, then range will be dependant on:

How much transmit power you can manage

Antenna gain and height

Surrounding terrain always plays a part

Adhearance to your local laws is up to you

good luck

Luis_C

jabu said:
I have been investigating a lot about Long Range Cordless Phones and would like to know if anyone here can tell me if (at 237mhz to 240mhz) this will cause interferece that could create problems. I would be using the system in Mexico so I'm sure the rules are different down there.

I apologize if this is in the wrong section.

Jason

Senao Phones, I'm in Mexico, I know offices that use them, with the antenna included it would work for about 5 KM, but your range would vary, with a external antenna specially tuned for the range that uses, that is mounted really tall, it works for about 20 KM.

As far as I know, they haven't caused interference problems, but surely if this phones get more popular, there might start to be problems.

Last edited:

Luis_C

Napalm said:
Isn't there a UHF military band in mexico?

Well, 225 to 400 Mhz, is in USA. Personally I have always wondered if there is, but I haven't got the programming cable, so I can do a little trick for scan it. But really, I'm sure that if this phones that I told you are causing problems, probably the military would try to track them down and tell them to stop using it. (Ohh it's Mexico, I forgot.)

This phones that I told you weren't bought on anything illegal or something. There's professional radio providers selling them in Mexico and the antennas. So I'm sure they wouldn't selling you this, because if someone came, I could simply tell, well X company sell it to me, I didn't know it would cause this kind of trouble, and they would get in serious problems.

Well, it's sad that here this kind of rules aren't really well defined, if you are concerned maybe in Secretaria de Comunicaciones y Transportes they would aclare you.

Last edited:

Al42

Aside from the fact that you'd have to give them a shipping address in Mexico (they can't be sold in the US legally, even if your intent is to take them out of the country, regardless of what the sellers tell you), and aside from the fact that regardless of who sold them to you and what they told you, you're solely responsible for any interference they cause when you're using them, you can certainly try them. I'd get something in writing from the Mexican government first, but that's just me. BTW, I think MilAir is an international frequency assignment.

mancow

Database Admin
Many are operating in the Mil Satcom range as well. That must account for the foreign telephone calls you hear in that range at times.

Luis_C

Al42 said:
Aside from the fact that you'd have to give them a shipping address in Mexico (they can't be sold in the US legally, even if your intent is to take them out of the country, regardless of what the sellers tell you), and aside from the fact that regardless of who sold them to you and what they told you, you're solely responsible for any interference they cause when you're using them, you can certainly try them. I'd get something in writing from the Mexican government first, but that's just me. BTW, I think MilAir is an international frequency assignment.

Yes, I agree. And now that I think about it, I'll do my best for warm the people that is using them here, that is wrong and you could get in real trouble, besides I hate interference, so I'll try to clean the radio waves. ;) Never noticed it was in the military band.

mancow said:
Many are operating in the Mil Satcom range as well. That must account for the foreign telephone calls you hear in that range at times.

Where are you located? And yes, that's the reason why they are heard, this is really, really bad. No, seriously, if somehow I could talk with the military people, I would like to know what they think about it, and what should be done.

Last edited:

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
For those of us in the US,
Any recommendations on long-range cordless (not cell) phones available ?
As mentioned in a previous post of mine, Consumer Reports used to rate "range" but the last time or two I looled did not. Seems like a critical parameter worth testing since some I've brought home have a range of < 100 feet and my old Sony 900 MHz goes approx 600 feet. I'd like to replace the Sony but am at a loss as-to what to purchase. (We're hopefully talking about < $150 phones here).

mancow

Database Admin
Luis_C said:
Yes, I agree. And now that I think about it, I'll do my best for warm the people that is using them here, that is wrong and you could get in real trouble, besides I hate interference, so I'll try to clean the radio waves. ;) Never noticed it was in the military band.

Where are you located? And yes, that's the reason why they are heard, this is really, really bad. No, seriously, if somehow I could talk with the military people, I would like to know what they think about it, and what should be done.

I'm in Kansas but I've heard the regular pirates as well as stuff that sounded like a german telephone conversation (one side). Maybe they were one one of those things and happened to hit the uplink of a bird somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.