Long range on a portable???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Portable14

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hello all, I recently called dispatch on my portable for a radio test from bloomfield just for Sh*ts and giggles, Not thinking it would work, But it did, Now the strange thing is that they are about 60 miles away (by driving) or about 35-40 miles (as the crow flies), Which leaves me wondering how this is possible.

Can someone explain this? I mean, I know a portable can recieve on skip from vary far distances, But I didn't know if the same principle worked for transmit.

pogbobo

that's very possible ... it all depends on where the repeater antenna is ... its all about the height, yours and its :)

Portable14

Banned
Well lets put it this way, I was at 400 Seabury ave in Bloomfield, and the repeater I reached is located off of Route 117 in Ledyard.

Portable14

Banned
Bloomfield might be low power or something, But the repeater I was testing was all the way out in Ledyard and I was in Bloomfield, I believe our repeater is only putting out 52 watts.

SkipSanders

Silent Key
They may have any number of remote receiver sites, besides the repeater transmitter site, in the system. There could have been one a mile from you, and only the system designer would necessarily know. Recieve only sites don't show on the licenses. Most major systems have dozens of these sites, just for this reason, to add HT coverage.

cg

Premium Subscriber
I have hit my old UHF EMS system in Granby CT from VT & NH with a portable. The tower & antenna were up >1000' and I was high up on a south facing ridge or mountain top.
You can get 4 watts to go amazing distances when there are no obstacles between the receiving & transmitting parts.

chris

Portable14

Banned
They may have any number of remote receiver sites, besides the repeater transmitter site, in the system. There could have been one a mile from you, and only the system designer would necessarily know. Recieve only sites don't show on the licenses. Most major systems have dozens of these sites, just for this reason, to add HT coverage.

Why would the remote reciever sites work half-way across the state, Yet there are some areas in town where I can't talk to dispatch?

joetnymedic

Feed Provider
Why would the remote reciever sites work half-way across the state, Yet there are some areas in town where I can't talk to dispatch?

interesting question, maybe you'd want to pose that question to shelton pd. i can hear them loud and clear in west haven, but they can't hear each other let alone dispatch in town

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
When I worked for C-MED New Haven, me and one of my co-workers buffed a call in northern Hartford. We had our work med channel in a portable and we were able to hit one of our towers from there on a radio checl. It all depends on line of sight from radio to radio, atmospherics, terrain and just plain luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.