Long Time Lurker Looking For The Right Scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

scoops

Long time lurker, Im trying to find a scanner that can scan Scott County IA, Fire, Police, Ems channels, plus some surrounding counties while traveling. But with all the narrow banding, P25 and all that(I really have no clue about any of that stuff) Im looking for both a mobile and a handheld scanner (Mobile for my brother to mount in his truck and a handheld for myself, Could go with two handhelds though) that will last a few years with all the changes and monitor the local frequencies. Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.

shadcall

Even though analog may work for you right now you are better off investing in digital scanners like the Radio Shack Pro 106 or Pro 197. They are the same scanner other than the 106 is handheld. The reason for getting a digital scanner is you never know when things might change from analog to digital.

timkilbride

Database Admin
Your best bet is a scanner with P25(digital). Personally, I use a Uniden BCD996xt (mobile), Uniden 396t (Handheld), and a Uniden Home Patrol in the house. The state patrol use digital on its car to car channel as does the DOT blue cars. The DOT snow plows are all digital as well. Johnson and Henry county are P25 as well plus the statewide Illinois system.

Tim

scoops

Thank you all for the help so far, Ive gathered that i should be looking for a digital scanner, Do i also need a trunk tracking system(And if you dont mind answering another question what is trunk tracking?) I may have left one important part out, Im looking to only spend about $200 per scanner, Is there any digital scanner in that price range and if so which ones or Im totally off in price?

timkilbride

Database Admin
Thank you all for the help so far, Ive gathered that i should be looking for a digital scanner, Do i also need a trunk tracking system(And if you dont mind answering another question what is trunk tracking?) I may have left one important part out, Im looking to only spend about $200 per scanner, Is there any digital scanner in that price range and if so which ones or Im totally off in price?

Check this link out for "trunk tracking"

Trunked radio system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Even a google search will bring up some more.

You might be able to find a beat up digital scanner for $200.

Tim

Signal3and2

Premium Subscriber
$250 will get you a Radioshack Pro-2096 (used) all day long. If you're lucky, you might be able to find a Uniden BCT-996D for $250 but luck will have to be on your side.

sjgostovich

I agree...

Even though analog may work for you right now you are better off investing in digital scanners like the Radio Shack Pro 106 or Pro 197. They are the same scanner other than the 106 is handheld. The reason for getting a digital scanner is you never know when things might change from analog to digital.

Shadcall makes the right call on this one....

WillB

Your best bet is a scanner with P25(digital). Personally, I use a Uniden BCD996xt (mobile), Uniden 396t (Handheld), and a Uniden Home Patrol in the house. The state patrol use digital on its car to car channel as does the DOT blue cars. The DOT snow plows are all digital as well. Johnson and Henry county are P25 as well plus the statewide Illinois system.

Tim

Just an FYI but Henry County is now encrypted. Washington County will be going digital on some of there law channels here soon as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.