Long time scannerist who just joined

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ladies, Gentlemen and others

I have a question, but first would like to "kind of introduce myself". While I have used RadioReference.com on and off over the years, I only joined yesterday. As I was reading some of the threads regarding the issue of agencies going digital, I realized that I'm behind the curve of information and wonder if I should be concerned. My scanner is new enough to receive Motorola system trunking, it cannot receive the latest technology (P25). Until yesterday I wasn't aware that there was newest technology and now, after 40 years of scanner listening, and quite happy with my ability to listen in on my West bay counties/cities, I ask you all, should I be concerned and will my scanner be made void anytime soon. I'm kind of feeling a little bit wierd and awkward that something that has been so near and dear to my heart for a better part of my life, I'm only a Rookie as far as information is concerned.

sigh!!!

davedaver1

Premium Subscriber
You'll probably want to head over to the San Francisco Bay Area Discussion for current info about where the West Bay communities are headed. I am still amused that the Peninsula and South Bay have not embraced all this radio tech craziness like the rest of the country. Heck, the channels on my Bearcat 300 would still work with San Jose PD today, 30 years later!I

Change is inevitable, but I don't think your radio will be totally useless anytime soon! The key will be encryption (pun not intended) - how much it's used will affect what you can listen to. In the meantime, a digital-capable radio will open up some new listening horizons for you and will be good for awhile until encryption overwhelms us (IF it does - it's not certain).

Thank you DaveDaver1. I did not realize this is a nationwide epidemic. You gave me a reason to be thankful for why I am living where I am. Yep, I have San Jose PD and FD and medics in one of my banks. Thank you San Mateo, Santa Cruz and Santa Clara counties.

KF7OQQ

Premium Subscriber
Welcome!!!

Here in Utah we don't have many P25 systems and a few encrypted talk groups but you never know what the furture will bring. It is alway good to have more and more people to join. Hope to see more post from you.

Happy Scanning!!!!

Thank you KF7OQQ for your warm welcome.

I see you have the Radio Shack Pro-95. That is what I have (and a Pro-39 too that has been through battle (not really but looks like it has). I've been pure Radio Shack since building scanner kits in the early 70's.

BWAS

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
Welcome to the forums. I like your username, lol. That's how my future son/daughter is going to be. Scanner in the cradle.

Ladies, Gentlemen and others

I have a question, but first would like to "kind of introduce myself". While I have used RadioReference.com on and off over the years, I only joined yesterday. As I was reading some of the threads regarding the issue of agencies going digital, I realized that I'm behind the curve of information and wonder if I should be concerned. My scanner is new enough to receive Motorola system trunking, it cannot receive the latest technology (P25). Until yesterday I wasn't aware that there was newest technology and now, after 40 years of scanner listening, and quite happy with my ability to listen in on my West bay counties/cities, I ask you all, should I be concerned and will my scanner be made void anytime soon. I'm kind of feeling a little bit wierd and awkward that something that has been so near and dear to my heart for a better part of my life, I'm only a Rookie as far as information is concerned.

sigh!!!

First of all welcome also to the forums. You should not be concerned at all. There are some places that have alot P25 systems and some places dont even have them at all. I think analog will still be a great communction to have around and it will stay. So no worry about your scanner being void.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
Just pray they don't go digital, because with digital comes encryption. I too am a long time scanner listener and in 2000 my town went P25 phase I. I couldn't figure out for the life of me WTH happened so I had to do some research on the Internet. One source told me they were Astro, but then I found a Yahoo group, joined and asked. It was four long years before I head public safety again. Now they are going full blown encryption next year. So I hope they leave fire along. Can you believe in Bismark ND fire is encrypted?

One day I hope a hack comes out that brute forces the key. LOL!

KC9DGX

Premium Subscriber
I felt like I was reading my own post when I read your original message. I have had at least 3 analog scanners at any given time since 1985. This week I decided I need to "catch up" to my hobby and I bought the Uniden BC536HP, and boy do I need help. lol. This sure looks like the place to be to be amongst other scanner listeners and to get any help one may need getting back into the drivers seat monitoring.

Status
Not open for further replies.