Longmont Police want traffic cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

nathancarlson

The Longmont Times-Call

According to the Times-Call Jan 16, 2009, the Police Dept. is asking the City Council to allow Redflex Traffic Systems to install red light and speed cameras at high-crash intersections, and to provide a vehicle with photo radar. I have stated my opinion about these stupid devises before, when the State Patrol proposed using them in construction areas. The thing that upset me most about this article is that the fines would all go to Redflex to pay for the "system". I think its stupid. If they do end up going for it I hope that city vehicles (especially the police) are also subject to these fines, just like they are in Boulder. I would much rather see more police cars out and about at these intersections, not devises that generate money for an outside company. I am going to let my City Council know my opinion about this. I just thought I would pass it along on here.

firescannerbob

Feed Provider
In Pueblo there are two and only two red-light cameras. They are fixed, not mobile, and are at two intersections that were notorious for accidents caused by people running red lights. When they were installed, it was well publicized, and there are plenty of signs at the intersections to warn people of the cameras. As much as I don't like the idea of mobile red-light cameras, I think that the way Pueblo did theirs was pretty acceptable.
When the cameras went into service, a letter was sent to every city employee advising them that if they were caught on camera running a red light while in a city vehicle, they were expected to pay the fines. Except for those of us driving emergency vehicles, there was no "out" for city employees.

Status
Not open for further replies.