Look how the Aussies play

Status
Not open for further replies.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
But most if not all amateur radios have extended receive.. So I don't really think we need a ham version..

But I could definitely see a market in the FRS/GMRS crowd..

KI4RDO

Silent Key
Over is Australia their cb band is uhf and not 27mhz like in the states. So thats just a UHF radio

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

SpectreOZ

Over is Australia their cb band is uhf and not 27mhz like in the states. So thats just a UHF radio

No, actually we have both 27Mhz and UHF which has recently been reallocated using 12.5Khz spacing essentially 77 (out of 80) channels to use, FWIW Uniden Australia also make the UH090 which is essentially a 27Mhz AM CB integrated with a fully functional UHF CB :D

:: Uniden Australia ::

KI4RDO

Silent Key
Ok spectre thanks for the correction. Sorry everything I had seen was for uhf cb

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

ausscan

Premium Subscriber
Only thing is, out here most Fire/Police is digital or on VHF so not really handy in that regard

SpectreOZ

Only thing is, out here most Fire/Police is digital or on VHF so not really handy in that regard

NSW regional Police/Rural Fire Service are still using analogue UHF down here along the Victorian border, however with the shift to digital systems there soon wont be a great deal to hear in the UHF spectrum :(

Ok spectre thanks for the correction. Sorry everything I had seen was for uhf cb

No problem, the best thing about 27Mhz now days is SSB and the fact most of the morons have made the switch to UHF :D

But most if not all amateur radios have extended receive.. So I don't really think we need a ham version..

But I could definitely see a market in the FRS/GMRS crowd..
It's not so much the extended receive I like in this product, it's the form factor. Most, if not all amateur transceivers are clunky and awkward to operate. My personal operation habits are "channelized" and something like this would be very nice to set up in a laptop and just dump in (or try to key in from the mic keypad). It would be especially nice if the mic could accommodate alphanumeric names for channels instead of frequencies.

For what it's worth, I am also in an area here in the US where conventional radios on VHF and UHF both have limited value. Everyone has migrated to either 800 or 700 trunked, with different system types. I have a VHF GM300 and UHF Spectra radio in the car. Neither are narrowband compliant, so they're loaded with ham stuff, and since there's no local public safety activity on those bands, there isn't even anything to listen to and they are kind of boring to me. A dual bander in this form factor would be pretty neat, though. Mic on the dash, radio under the seat.

So, how is the audio quality from this thing? Does it sound "like a radio" or "like a scanner?"

JASII

Memory Capacity
Look How The Aussies Play

The concept has been around for a while now. Let's see, who remembers the Icom IC-2SRA? Icom 2SRA IC-2SRA 2M Amateur HT

Or, what about the Icom IC-M88 VHF Marine Transceiver? Icom 2SRA IC-2SRA 2M Amateur HT

Who remembers the Standard Horizon (Yaesu) HX470S? http://www.yaesu.com/jp/en/products/marine_img/hx470s_pdf.pdf

Not all are scanners plus 2 way, but they are variants of more than one service type devices. I think one, or some,of the devices that Yaesu had to be pulled from the shelves when they lost FCC Type acceptance.

Status
Not open for further replies.