• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

    We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

    If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Look Up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Joined
Feb 3, 2001
Messages
11,356
Location
Lansing, MI
Right - you'll see the main engines burning, you won't see the actual shuttle.
 
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
465
Location
Carteret County NC
Shuttle Endeavour 259.7 AM weaker than usual ????

thin cloud cover obscured the flight path here on the coast of NC....

but did anyone else notice a much weaker UHF signal this launch on 259.7 than previously experienced ????

i know they had UHF amplifier problems earlier in the pre-launch week and were prepared to go with weaker backups....but to me here, the signal was much weaker than ever before...

still a thrill, no matter what, tho....

Barefootdipole
 

BM82557

Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2006
Messages
2,597
Location
Berkeley Co WV
barefootdipole said:
thin cloud cover obscured the flight path here on the coast of NC....

but did anyone else notice a much weaker UHF signal this launch on 259.7 than previously experienced ????

i know they had UHF amplifier problems earlier in the pre-launch week and were prepared to go with weaker backups....but to me here, the signal was much weaker than ever before...

still a thrill, no matter what, tho....

Barefootdipole
The previous two launches I received them loud and clear in West Virginia on 259.7 during the ascent but I didn't hear them at all this time.
 

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Joined
Feb 3, 2001
Messages
11,356
Location
Lansing, MI
They were not able to use high-power mode, so they left it in low-power (as it was more than enough still to do what they needed.)
 

N1BHH

Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2007
Messages
1,843
Location
Jackson Square, East Weymouth, MA.
You can also go to www.heavens-above.com and open an account to track for your location, any object that they have up there, AMSAT's, ISS, Iridium flares, Astronomical objects, etc. I use it all the time to track where a planet may be in the sky, or when AMSAT's are going to be in range.
 

freqhopping

Member
Joined
Jan 5, 2004
Messages
5,203
Location
Lo Co VA/ FM19
BM82557 said:
The previous two launches I received them loud and clear in West Virginia on 259.7 during the ascent but I didn't hear them at all this time.
My IDTrackerII shows one hit on it at 2:36, unfortunately I didn't have that freq set to record so I don't know if it was comms or just a break in squelch.
 

Austin4Wyo

Member
Joined
Dec 1, 2007
Messages
148
Location
Laramie, WY
N1BHH said:
You can also go to www.heavens-above.com and open an account to track for your location, any object that they have up there, AMSAT's, ISS, Iridium flares, Astronomical objects, etc. I use it all the time to track where a planet may be in the sky, or when AMSAT's are going to be in range.
Wow...now this is groovy. I was under the impression that I wouldn't be able to pick up satellites or anything cool like that with my ancient Uniden BC80XLT, but evidently, I was pretty damn wrong. Now I've got something else to listen for other than local traffic.

Thanks man.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top