Look Up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Right - you'll see the main engines burning, you won't see the actual shuttle.

Shuttle Endeavour 259.7 AM weaker than usual ????

thin cloud cover obscured the flight path here on the coast of NC....

but did anyone else notice a much weaker UHF signal this launch on 259.7 than previously experienced ????

i know they had UHF amplifier problems earlier in the pre-launch week and were prepared to go with weaker backups....but to me here, the signal was much weaker than ever before...

still a thrill, no matter what, tho....

Barefootdipole

BM82557

barefootdipole said:
thin cloud cover obscured the flight path here on the coast of NC....

but did anyone else notice a much weaker UHF signal this launch on 259.7 than previously experienced ????

i know they had UHF amplifier problems earlier in the pre-launch week and were prepared to go with weaker backups....but to me here, the signal was much weaker than ever before...

still a thrill, no matter what, tho....

Barefootdipole

The previous two launches I received them loud and clear in West Virginia on 259.7 during the ascent but I didn't hear them at all this time.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
They were not able to use high-power mode, so they left it in low-power (as it was more than enough still to do what they needed.)

N1BHH

You can also go to www.heavens-above.com and open an account to track for your location, any object that they have up there, AMSAT's, ISS, Iridium flares, Astronomical objects, etc. I use it all the time to track where a planet may be in the sky, or when AMSAT's are going to be in range.

freqhopping

BM82557 said:
The previous two launches I received them loud and clear in West Virginia on 259.7 during the ascent but I didn't hear them at all this time.
My IDTrackerII shows one hit on it at 2:36, unfortunately I didn't have that freq set to record so I don't know if it was comms or just a break in squelch.

Austin4Wyo

N1BHH said:
You can also go to www.heavens-above.com and open an account to track for your location, any object that they have up there, AMSAT's, ISS, Iridium flares, Astronomical objects, etc. I use it all the time to track where a planet may be in the sky, or when AMSAT's are going to be in range.

Wow...now this is groovy. I was under the impression that I wouldn't be able to pick up satellites or anything cool like that with my ancient Uniden BC80XLT, but evidently, I was pretty damn wrong. Now I've got something else to listen for other than local traffic.

Thanks man.

Status
Not open for further replies.