• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Looking at an NX210, have some questions.

dryfb

I'm considering buying an NX210 that has been retired from a railroad, are these usually password protected? If so, is there any way to bypass the password? Also, do these radios use special firmware like some Icoms?

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
It can be flashed with regular fw 5.32 for the nx-210.
As for password, depends on what RR used it.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
Product is end of life, honestly I would save and get a nx 3000 or even 5000.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Good radios. Our PD has been using them as a temporary solution, which turned into 10 years….
They've stood up well to that sort of use.
They'll do 2 meter band if you have your ham license.
KPG-111 is fairly easy software to figure out if you have not programmed them before.

But I'd agree with Evans, if you have the money, the NX-3200's are nice radios.

dryfb

I don't think I could get a 3200 or 5200 because of the cps adding another 200 to the cost, I do have my ham license so that will be a primary use for this radio. I already have kpg143d which supports the 210. What are the prices on a 3200 and 5200? I already have a 1300k2 so a 1200k2 would be an option, I would like the better display on the 5200 along with the channel capacity and voice playback as well as dmr and nxdn at the same time.

Last edited:

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
I don't think I could get a 3200 or 5200 because of the cps adding another 200 to the cost, I do have my ham license so that will be a primary use for this radio. I already have kpg143d which supports the 210. What are the prices on a 3200 and 5200? I already have a 1300k2 so a 1200k2 would be an option, I would like the better display on the 5200 along with the channel capacity and voice playback as well as dmr and nxdn at the same time.
The D1 or D3 key is 145 through me (plus paypal fee). Not really 200 but if you want to gag,
the wide band key is 175.00, which I stock also.

dryfb

145 isn't as bad, what's a normal price for a 5200 with the DMR key, and SD card size upgrade, along with bluetooth programming?

dryfb

Also, does the 5200 come in any colors other than black? I've seen a lime green 3200 on ebay and I'm not sure if it's custom or not.

Cognomen

Yes, you can get green and red hi-vis housings for the NX-5200. The green was recently discontinued, but should still be in stock at dealers.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I've seen a lime green 3200 on ebay and I'm not sure if it's custom or not.
KWD-YH-3000U is the high viz yellow housing. Not sure if there is a lime green housing available now or not.
List price was $41 bucks in 2021. Standard keypad model only. Requires factory install if you want the warranty on the IP67 rating.

dryfb

I have decided and buy one with a speaker mic and no charger, and I'll also be buying a bluemax cable.