Looking at getting a BCD996XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

scannernut09

So I have saved up my money and looking at getting a bcd996xt. Just wondering if I do get this how hard is it to program, can l listened to my county cops, or the Nebraska state patol? I live in Thayer county nebraska . Does anyone else have this kind of scanner? If you do what do you like/dont like about it?

N5AMS

In order to answer if you can listen to your county sheriff's office is are they using p25 phase II or Mototrbo or NXDN. If the answer is yes then no you won't be able to hear them.

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
Taking a look at the database here, it looks as if the Thayer SO is going to DMR. You'll be out of luck with the 996XT. You can monitor them with a 996P2 with the optional (and extra $$) DMR key. As for "difficulty" programming them, that's highly variable. Both radios, however, are programmed in the same manner as they are essentially the same, with the 996P2 being the more modern and capable radio.

rbrtklamp2

Premium Subscriber
ARC-XT programs both the XT series radios and the P2 series radios and Butel seems to have the best software for programming in DMR systems I would stick with Butel products as I can confirm they work with the P2 series very well. All other programs YMMV.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

scannernut09

ARC-XT programs both the XT series radios and the P2 series radios and Butel seems to have the best software for programming in DMR systems I would stick with Butel products as I can confirm they work with the P2 series very well. All other programs YMMV.

ok? Not sounding dull but i dont get what you mean by all that.

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
O ok but it sounds like if I upgrade the software I should be able to listen to my county and the Nebraska state patrol

Yes and no. The 996XT will allow you to monitor the State Patrol, but not your county SO. The 996XT cannot be upgraded to monitor a DMR system, which it appears your county SO is in the process of transitioning. The 996P2 will allow you to monitor both, provided you purchase the optional DMR key.

rbrtklamp2

Premium Subscriber
O ok but it sounds like if I upgrade the software I should be able to listen to my county and the Nebraska state patrol
No you have to upgrade your scanner it just so happens you won't have to upgrade your software if you are already using ARC XT. I guess I should have clarified that. But the other software packages don't allow the programming of DMR systems like Butels does. But you will still need a phase 2/DMR capable scanner.

phask

Premium Subscriber
Just buy a 996P2 - years newer, has straight USb and not the usb/serial hasseles you might have. Has P2 capability and can add DMR and Provice for a fee (ea) if needed.

rbrtklamp2

Premium Subscriber
That's good to know I forgot about Proscan my apologies. I know people using freescan are having a heck of a time programming in DMR stuff as the software hasn't been updated for it yet. So I guess Proscan and ARC-XT will handle DMR. I stand corrected :)

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
In answer to your question about DMR, Phase II and digital. . .

"Digital" is a general term, like ice cream. There are different variations of digital, like different flavors of ice cream. DMR and Phase II are newer varieties of digital radio.

The 996XT came out around 2009. Though "just" 8 years old, a lot has happened in that short time Those new varieties of digital were not used a lot by public safety when the 996XT came out and thus not "in" the 996XT

The 996P2 is a re-worked version of the 996XT. It does have capabilities to receive Phase II and you can pay for an upgrade to receive DMR.

gonefishn1

Right now the BCD436HP is on sale at Amazon and Walmart for a lower price than the 996p2. You could get a much better scanner for less money. Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.