Looking at getting the SDS100. Got 3 questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wheels1911

Well I know that EVENTUALLY, oregon will go P25 Phase II... Everyone is just poor..okay.. okay got it....unless the SDS100 is to much power for this area cuz that SOB is expensive

I live in Marion County, OR

1. I know that Keizer PD uses something fancy "Motorola Type II Smartnet " whatever that is, Does the radio pick them up stock. or would I need an update?

2. Salem FD uses the Project 25 Phase II So I should be good correct?

and last question

3. I see that Woodburn and Hubbard PD use NXDN, I know I can get that with an upgrade. But, I live about 33 Miles from Woodburn, Would I even be able to hear that far?

qc

Premium Subscriber
1. I know that Keizer PD uses something fancy "Motorola Type II Smartnet " whatever that is, Does the radio pick them up stock. or would I need an update?

yes the sds100 does work with Motorola type II smartnet

2. Salem FD uses the Project 25 Phase II So I should be good correct? YES

and last question

3. I see that Woodburn and Hubbard PD use NXDN, I know I can get that with an upgrade. But, I live about 33 Miles from Woodburn, Would I even be able to hear that far?

depends on topography but looks like it's VHF should travel further

How that helps

kd7jfv

Database Admin
Salem Fire is not P25 Phase II, YET. They use the "fancy Motorola Type II smartnet" - actually not fancy anymore, that technology is about 25 years old :). Their dispatch channel is re-brodcast on the Oregon State Radio Project p25 system. NONE of their operations channels are rebroadcast on the P25 system.

Keizer PD is also re-broadcast on the Oregon State Radio Project system.

Refer to https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=2228 for more details.

rightsaidfred

Salem Fire is not P25 Phase II, YET. They use the "fancy Motorola Type II smartnet" - actually not fancy anymore, that technology is about 25 years old :). Their dispatch channel is re-brodcast on the Oregon State Radio Project p25 system. NONE of their operations channels are rebroadcast on the P25 system.

Keizer PD is also re-broadcast on the Oregon State Radio Project system.

Refer to https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=2228 for more details.

Do you any timeline on when the newer digital system is coming on? I know they had to add a third site per the contract with Motorola for better coverage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wheels1911

yes the sds100 does work with Motorola type II smartnet

2. Salem FD uses the Project 25 Phase II So I should be good correct? YES

and last question

depends on topography but looks like it's VHF should travel further

How that helps

Do you think the SDS100 is to much power for this area? Should I save like $150 and go with the Whisler TRX-1?

also "depends on topography but looks like it's VHF should travel further" What exactly does that mean?

qc

Premium Subscriber
VHF wavelength will travel further than UHF wavelength via line of sight

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
Should I save like $150 and go with the Whisler TRX-1?

$150??? It'll be a lot more than that. You can get a TRX-1 for a good price -- the exact price depends -- but let's say $450... the SDS100 is $650. Remember you have to pay $$$ for DMR and NXDN options. These are included with the TRX. So possibly as much as $300 in savings.

I wouldn't dismiss it. It's still a very good scanner.

wheels1911

$150??? It'll be a lot more than that. You can get a TRX-1 for a good price -- the exact price depends -- but let's say $450... the SDS100 is $650. Remember you have to pay $$$ for DMR and NXDN options. These are included with the TRX. So possibly as much as $300 in savings.

I wouldn't dismiss it. It's still a very good scanner.

Wait. The TRX-1 comes with DMR and NXDN already free? No upgrade?

wheels1911

I have been hearing lately that the SDS 100 is really bad at VHF & UHF. Considering most of my county is still VHF & UHF.... later updating to P25 II

What should I do?

Like I see a ton of posts saying SDS doesn't handle it well

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
I have been hearing lately that the SDS 100 is really bad at VHF & UHF.

There is some truth to that. I kind of gave up messing with it because the TRX works perfectly fine. If you want to stay in the Uniden universe then the 325P2 is a decent choice. For the money though, I would seriously consider the TRX. The recording feature of the TRX is really nice.

The 325P2 supports NXDN and DMR as well but you must $PAY$ to play.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
And if you want REAL DMR NXDN TRUNKING then buy a SDS100 DBC436 or 325P2 as the WHISTLERS scan voice channels and do not track the control channels you get what you pay for my UNIDENS run circles around my TRX's (both TRX-1 and TRX-2).

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
And if you want REAL DMR NXDN TRUNKING then buy a SDS100 DBC436 or 325P2 as the WHISTLERS scan voice channels and do not track the control channels you get what you pay for my UNIDENS run circles around my TRX's (both TRX-1 and TRX-2).
I couldn't agree more with that. My local NX48 does not work well on TRX radios. Many missed Transmissions. Works great on the SDS and x36. Who cares if it's free if it doesn't work well.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
If your area is going to upgrade to P2 simulcast then you will be very disappointed you got a TRX radio. Saving $300 it's not worth it when you cannot pick up your local system well or maybe not at all.

The TRX is P2 capable but is not LSM capable to use their own words when explaining why their radios don't work on LSM susceptible systems.

I guess that's why they attempted to make an LSM capable radio.

wheels1911

Well got myself a new SDS100 this morning for 599.95 got $50 off the new price so im happy, thanks guys.

Now just be prepared for my noob questions. haha

many people have talked about the steep learning curve so! Im a little nervous

cinsu

Well got myself a new SDS100 this morning for 599.95 got $50 off the new price so im happy, thanks guys.

Now just be prepared for my noob questions. haha

many people have talked about the steep learning curve so! Im a little nervous

Congrats! I just happened to read thru this thread and your post in the Uniden forums. I live in Portland but I often travel down to Salem and was just down there last weekend. I had no issues on my SDS100 with any of the frequencies around there. I had Oregon P25, Marion County and Salem trunked system on. In fact I was able to hear a couple Portland systems still.

Not sure what scanners you've used before but the SDS can be a different beast especially if you've been out of the game a while.

If I could offer my 2 cents I wouldn't worry about the NXDN or DMR upgrades yet unless you enjoy listening to business. The TRBOWEST system is there in town and it's not listed yet but the Silke NXDN system is also there. I have the frequencies but still working out site locations before I submit it.

Fielder3

Premium Subscriber
Wheels1911, How's the SDS100 working so far? I have a Uniden 996p2 and create/download directly from radio ref database. After that, I can adjust function keys for different systems, geography and/or agency types.

Status
Not open for further replies.