BCD325P2/BCD996P2: Looking at one of these real hard,Who can talk me out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

radio3353

Not everyone is comfortable with "make sure you buy from a dealer with a good return policy and if it doesn't work just send it back".

That's great for the person that buys it, trys it out, and sends it back. Not so great for the dealer, who now has a used (but not defective) scanner that they have to sell as such. They cannot send it back to the manufacturer (since there's nothing wrong with it) and woe be to them if they sell it as new and the next buyer figures out that it was used.

And then people wonder why there is a "re-stocking fee" on many returns, especially of electronics.

Don't feel too sorry for the dealer. Priced into every product is an allowance for warranty cost, defective product and buyer remorse. Basic cost accounting. If a dealer receives back one item for every XX sold, they are ahead of the game. If returns skyrocket then they can be hurt for selling a bad product (which is not the consumer's fault.) As for your last statement, that is greed. They can, so they do.

Bob1955

And not everyone has $1100 to spend out of pocket in case cheap option 1 does not work it may take some over 30 days to figure out it will not work. Most all dealers will not REFUND YOUR DMR KEY money so you will be out that then have to buy DMR KEY FOR SDS200. So if you want to roll the dice and cheap out you run the risk of spending your money with no refund options.
buddrousa- Again, I'm happy with my BCD-996P2 and there are members here such as "Doctordialtone" that says the same thing. MOST people are NOT going to shell out $649.95/$699.95 on Bearcat scanners in this current economy, especially if you can't put up a roof antenna were you live as it makes zero sense and also, the reported hmm issues and reported poor VHF/UHF analog issues. I'm fully aware that it is great on P.25 simulcasting and that is the only way it would possibly make sense to consider it. I listen to New Rochelle Police on 155.130/NAC100 and they are simulcast and yet, for the MOST part, the BCD-996P2 is fine. I'm considering the Austin extended 40" telescoping base/handheld BNC right angel antenna on Amazon for $38.95 so what does everyone think about that "pricey" telescoping antenna vs. the factory supplied one......would this be any better?

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
buddrousa- Again, I'm happy with my BCD-996P2 and there are members here such as "Doctordialtone" that says the same thing. MOST people are NOT going to shell out $649.95/$699.95 on Bearcat scanners in this current economy, especially if you can't put up a roof antenna were you live as it makes zero sense and also, the reported hmm issues and reported poor VHF/UHF analog issues. I'm fully aware that it is great on P.25 simulcasting and that is the only way it would possibly make sense to consider it. I listen to New Rochelle Police on 155.130/NAC100 and they are simulcast and yet, for the MOST part, the BCD-996P2 is fine. I'm considering the Austin extended 40" telescoping base/handheld BNC right angel antenna on Amazon for $38.95 so what does everyone think about that "pricey" telescoping antenna vs. the factory supplied one......would this be any better?
I own 10 996p2 scanners I think I know what they are capable of doing

Bob1955

Someone needs to read https://www.relativelyinteresting.com/10-commandments-rational-debate-logical-fallacies-explained/?utm_source=org and pay attention to #1.
I own 10 996p2 scanners I think I know what they are capable of doing
Wow, you want a gold star?
Enjoy your Super Bowl game with your (10) BCD-996P2 base/mobile scanners dip stick!

mancow

Database Admin
I just got mine a few days ago, and just started programming it tonight and it sounds great on simulcast and everything... why pay $700.00 when you can get everything for around $400.00View attachment 79862

Because they are worthless if you try to move it while scanning simulcast. In a situation such as yours is a great deal. For many of us it's a paperweight.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I think we're done here.

The BCD992P2 is a great scanner. I have one along with a BCD536HP and they both work great in my non-simulcast area.

I travel a lot for work and would take along my BCD436HP and my BCD536HP and my reception in simulcast areas was hit and miss. Now I take along my SDS100 and SDS200 and don't have any problems.

I think the OP has been given several suggestions and can decide on his own.

Status
Not open for further replies.