Looking for 20 meter mobile n not finding much

Status
Not open for further replies.

KF0AWL

Hobo
I'm looking for a 20 meter mobile transceiver but Google don't show much out there.
Does Kenwood, Icom, any of the better brands put one out?
I prefer to buy new but will do ued if I gave to.
Looking to spend up to $300.

W5GX

What are other requirements? Modes? Power?

Here's a QPR kit that may still be available:

MFJ CW model:

belvdr

No longer interested in living
Here's what I did when I was looking for a radio. I would use Universal Radio's web site, as it's cleanly organized and you can see the frequencies each radio covers. Additionally, they also have a listing for discontinued transceivers. Then you can shop for best price once you narrow down what you want.

For HF:

I doubt you'll find anything new in the sub-$300 range. You might be better served perusing their used list or swap.qth.com, once you find a radio you'd like to purchase.

KF0AWL

Hobo
Thanks for everyone that replied.
What the deal is is that Im going to start studying for my General ticket and I was hoping to find a mobile unit to mount in my briefcase go box when I wanted to go hf in the field. It dont look like that will be the case tho at the prices unless yall know of another hf option thats portable and reaches out to touch someone?

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
As others have said, your best option is to look around for a gently used "all band" hf mobile at a reasonable price. The Icom 706 MKIIG was a very popular radio. They tend to still command top dollar, but you may luck out and find one at your price point. The other factor with a mobile HF is the antenna. The cruel laws of physics dictate that HF antennas need to be long to be even remotely efficient.

KF0AWL

Hobo
You know after thinking on it nothing says I can't take a ten meter base out to the field!

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
You know after thinking on it nothing says I can't take a ten meter base out to the field!

Correct, but as I noted in the other thread, I think you are going to be disappointed if 10m is the only band you have. You are going to spend 99% of your time listening to static on an empty band. Unfortunately, your budget is way too low for an all-band HF radio.

My recommendation is still something like an Icom 706 MKIIG if you can raise your budget a little bit. Covers HF, 2m, and 70cm all in one radio, and is small enough for mobile/portable use. But you aren't going to find them for $300. They are still $500-$600 on the used market.

W5lz

Actually, nothing says you can't take a multiband radio either. For the price range, I think you might take a look at the used market.

cpfinlay

Feed Provider
The radio is generally the most expensive component of a "go kit" (also known as a "go box"), but the other items can add up as well! Search those terms and you will see all kinds of approaches (and costs). Good luck! When you have put it together, be sure to post a pic!

belvdr

No longer interested in living
I think you'll be better served by saving a bit more for a better radio later rather than buying something now that's not as good or practically useless (10m only).

KF0AWL

Hobo
I might be interested in playing with something like this if I can find one
HT-1A 20/40m Dual Band CW Transceiver Kit
Anyone have a lead on one?

Status
Not open for further replies.