Looking for a dual band(vhf/uhf) handheld with nuisance delete

Status
Not open for further replies.

W2NJS

AFAIK, you won't find nuisance delete on any ham portables. I've been hamming for sixty years this month and I've never seen it on any radios except commercial ones.

Nuisance delete allows you to cut a station out of a scan list while the radio is scanning. You restore the station to the scan list by turning the radio off and then back on.

GSPD

I don't believe there is a ham rig that'll do nuisance delete, that's why I've always used commercial gear. You can't beat that "one button" push to eliminate those obnoxous hams who insist on kerchunking those repeaters! It sure beats going through a menu with multiple button pushes while driving. I do have a VHF ham rig in the car, but it usually stays on a fire frequency.

WX9EMS

I can't say I have seen it on any Ham rig. If it annoys you, you always can take it out of the scan list...it's what I do, works like a charm.

Last edited:

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
AFAIK, you won't find nuisance delete on any ham portables. I've been hamming for sixty years this month and I've never seen it on any radios except commercial ones.

Nuisance delete allows you to cut a station out of a scan list while the radio is scanning. You restore the station to the scan list by turning the radio off and then back on.

My yaesu vx6r has it. FW +5 will lock it out of scan. It's called skip.

n9zas

N4KVE

My yaesu vx6r has it. FW +5 will lock it out of scan. It's called skip.

n9zas
Exactly. The ham radios don't have a 1 stop press the button & the radio stops scanning there feature. However, if a memory is busy, & you want to temporarily remove it from the scan list, you have to press a few buttons to do this. Then, later on, just do the reverse to put it back in the scan list. Ham radios have had this since they were able to scan memories. GARY N4KVE

freqseek

All the icoms and kenwoods ham radios I have used have a skip button to skip memory channels,

The Icoms when you press the button for scanning it scanned all channels and when you press func and the botton to scan it would only scan channels that were not tagged with skip

Kenwoods you just press Func then the skip button to lock and to unlock any memory channel.

The only ham radio that I know that you can skip frequencies while searching is the new Alinco DJ-G7T and G29T, the freq. has to be stored in a special skip memory bank. you can skip memory channels also, these radio you can link memory banks but not the searck banks.

You would think that with all the memory and search banks being offered today that the radios would offer lock outs by a press of a button, and quick bank linking in search & memery modes, It does suck searching with ham gear always having to turn the VFO knob on packet or any other nuisance frequency.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Exactly. The ham radios don't have a 1 stop press the button & the radio stops scanning there feature. However, if a memory is busy, & you want to temporarily remove it from the scan list, you have to press a few buttons to do this. Then, later on, just do the reverse to put it back in the scan list. Ham radios have had this since they were able to scan memories. GARY N4KVE

True, we do have to press 2 buttons. :(

n9zas

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
On newer Kenwood amateur radio mobiles, the only way to skip a memory during memory scan is to go into the menu system. This takes several key presses to skip the memory.

But I think some of you are missing the real point of nuisance delete. On the commercial radios I've used that have this feature, not only is the nuisance delete achieved with just one button push, but the nuisance delete is temporary. Cycling power on the radio clears the nuisance deletes. The advantage to this feature is that if you just want to temporarily lock out a channel, you can do so knowing full well that the channel will return to your scan list the next time you power up the radio.

The newer Uniden scanners have this feature. The lock-out button executes a temporary lock-out with just a single press and those temporary lock-outs are cleared when you cycle power. To get a permanent lock-out, you have to press the lock-out button twice.

timkilbride

Database Admin
I can't say I have seen it on any Ham rig. If it annoys you, you always can take it out of the scan list...it's what I do, works like a charm.

You can't edit the scan list on my Wouxun, unless its on a computer. Doesn't work like a charm.

I guess I will stick to my commercial radios. . . .

Tim

freqseek

I have a question for the commercial user, I have never used commercial equipment and was wondering if any of the radios offer any programable search ranges?
I travel the country for work and usually have to search for active frequencies. and the temporary lock out in a search range would be awsome in a transceiver.

thanks in advance for your response

timkilbride

Database Admin
I have a question for the commercial user, I have never used commercial equipment and was wondering if any of the radios offer any programable search ranges?
I travel the country for work and usually have to search for active frequencies. and the temporary lock out in a search range would be awsome in a transceiver.

thanks in advance for your response

I'm not aware of any that have a VCO. Some commercial gear can be front panel programmable(FPP).

Tim

W2NJS

Going back to the OP's original question, nuisance delete provides the ability via a ONE TOUCH button to drop a scan channel while the radio is scanning. Any procedure that requires pushing more than one button and (yikes!) actually looking at the radio's display is definitely NOT nuisance delete.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
The newer Kenwood TM-V71A has two programmable PF buttons on the front. I petitioned Kenwood via e-mail to make one or both able to be programmed as nuisence delete function with the next firmware update. They actually replied to me and thpught it was a good idea. See how that goes.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
The Dayton Hamvention is a good time to remind the Kenwood reps about features we'd like to see in their equipment. Phil Parton is Kenwood's amatuer radio product manager and will most likely be there.

D

DaveNF2G

You can't edit the scan list on my Wouxun, unless its on a computer. Doesn't work like a charm.

I guess I will stick to my commercial radios. . . .

Tim

Inaccurate. The Wouxun can be programmed without a computer, just like the big brands. It is a tedious process, also just like the big brands.

A memory channel can be deleted from the keypad, but it does take a few keypresses and is not an "eyes-free" operation. There is no nuisance delete feature, though.

But then, there aren't very many commercial radios that can be programmed without external hardware.

(When I hear the expression, nuisance delete, I think of something that would remove the offending station from the universe. LOL.)

Status
Not open for further replies.