Looking for a Elmer in the area

Status
Not open for further replies.

rgbwatts

Premium Subscriber
Never been good with message boards but I have recently got back into amateur radios, ham, scanners, gps, sat com images, long range military communication, or even flight traffic. I am not looking to do anything out of the normal or under the cover. Mostly monitor, be informed, play with frequencies, filters, and the such. I have a engineering background from school back in the "day" but never used it went right into IT. So my interest has always been in this area.

If it helps I am using the BCD996P2, either building my own TX for HAM or going to go software SDR maybe? not sure yet on the software part. Finally I have been researching how to interface my 996P2 to a Windows or Linux box so any advice there would be great. I think I saw somewhere (can't find it now) someone using a Oscope or rainfall meter with a external device.

To sum up I am looking for someone to help, advice, or give general advice on things. I would like to get my "Technician Class License" and that is where I found out about maybe finding a Elmer to assist.

Thank you in advance.

rgbwatts

Premium Subscriber
Well I did get my new scanner in and I was able to program it shockingly to my surprise. The "easier" to read manual was probably the most helpful. The rewritten manual at http://marksscanners.com/996xt/996xt.shtml#Contents was really great info and the layout. But I would not even know if the hard copy is as bad as I have seen others say it is since I can hardly see text that tiny anyways. I then used Proscan 30day trial first to program the unit (I am not sure on the software yet) was pretty easy but lacking of documentation from what I could(not) find on google, here, and other places. Probably give Freescan a try next.

I am sure I have a ton more to configure as they are options all over the place on this new BCD996P2 I just got. At the moment I do not have any questions but I am currently researching setting up the 4724 freq and some others. After that I wanted to see since I live very close (like a few miles away) to a airport what I might be able to get from that. The Airport is a commercial shipping port as well as a commuter one. So any advice here would be nice.

Still looking for a Elmer or if that is not the right term or this is not the right place just let me know.

Thanks again and happy scanning.

Last edited:

rgbwatts

Premium Subscriber
Not got a single reply yet so do have much hope on this but does anyone know of a discord server, irc server, or a actual forum that people are active on? PM me if you do not want to reply here.

Status
Not open for further replies.