Looking for a good indoor antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

KI5IRE

Premium Subscriber
New rail listener here looking for a good indoor antenna for rail listening. I live .25 miles away from 3 busy rail crossings along a BNSF line with defect detectors I can very faintly pick up through the static and even some of the FREDs as well as some train to dispatcher etc. comms as they approach my area. There is also a yard about 5 miles away or so from me.

What are some good antennas for railfanning from home? I have an attic discone I have not had a chance to try to hook up since I moved a few months back and several mag mount antennas on the wall I am using for monitoring public safety as well as a dipole that came with my RTL-SDR. Currently using my 996XT to listen.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Hook up the discone in the attic FIRST to your 996XT. If you are hearing RR sigs weakly now with the back-of-set telescoping antenna, the discone in the attic is likely to be a MAJOR improvement... and maybe all that you need. There is no "magic" antenna that you can put up indoors on a floor below the attic that will do better than the discone.... except perhaps if you have a window on the 2nd floor that faces the direction of all the RR you want to hear. You could put a beam or TV antenna in that room and point it out the window. But he discone in the attic will be simpler to do..... and should work well unless you have a metal roof or lots of foil insulation in the attic.

WB9YBM

If the furthest signal is only 5 miles away and considering the power being run by business band / GMRS radios, you could probably hear them with a wet noodle for an antenna...:)

• Haha
Reactions: RRR

spongella

Premium Subscriber
popnoknock is right, hook up the discone first. Good luck and I hope you hear those RR's.

Just curious though, do you heat those signals better when you take the radio outside?

reconrider8

Personally I would go the discone route first then once you find the sweet spot and if this is what you want to monitor look into a band specific antenna like the dpd line

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Currently using my 996XT to listen.

A lot of railroads are changing over to NXDN and in Michigan NXDN & DMR as well. I didn't find any DMR in the state of Texas, and only one using NXDN. Just an FYI to keep in mind should you decide to purchase a new radio in the future. This will not affect your choice in antennas.

1613964511353.png

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
New rail listener here looking for a good indoor antenna for rail listening. I live .25 miles away from 3 busy rail crossings along a BNSF line with defect detectors I can very faintly pick up through the static and even some of the FREDs as well as some train to dispatcher etc. comms as they approach my area. There is also a yard about 5 miles away or so from me.

What are some good antennas for railfanning from home? I have an attic discone I have not had a chance to try to hook up since I moved a few months back and several mag mount antennas on the wall I am using for monitoring public safety as well as a dipole that came with my RTL-SDR. Currently using my 996XT to listen.

Since you've got a discone I'd say put that back up. However, it's winter, so quick and dirty might be preferable.

My preference for quick and dirty has always been to find a metal coffee can, punch a hole in the bottom and install an NMO mount with about 15 feet of cable, then use a 1/4 wave whip on top. Put the whole thing in a window and it works just fine.

I've also punched a hole in the bottom of a coffee can and installed a BNC connector with 10-15 feet of cable on it. Put the scanner antenna on that and put the whole thing in a window and like the NMP mount on a can, it works fine.

Finally, metal coffee cans also work nicely to stick a magmount antenna to, as do pie pans or cookie sheets.

Metal coffee cans are getting tough to find, so you could also use a paint can or metal bucket; you should still be able to buy new (empty) paint cans at a paint store or home center. The advantage to a metal paint can with a lid is that you can fill the inside with sand, rocks or whatever and slap the antenna on the lid; the whole rigging will then stay firmly in place no matter where you put it.

A lot of railroads are changing over to NXDN and in Michigan NXDN & DMR as well. I didn't find any DMR in the state of Texas, and only one using NXDN. Just an FYI to keep in mind should you decide to purchase a new radio in the future. This will not affect your choice in antennas.

Not exactly true; most railroads are NXDN-ready, but have made no move toward a large-scale shift to that mode. The few places it's in use are at yards and terminals, as in the Fort Worth example shown. The few railroads using DMR are small shortline or industrial roads, and not very many of those. The 996XT the OP is using should serve him well for awhile yet.

Last edited:

weathermedic

Premium Subscriber
You can also use a magnet mount on a window mounted air conditioner if you have those. Quite common up here in the NY area. I use one for one of my scanners that I use to monitor local stuff. Works great.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
DPD Productions offers several types of railroad-specific antennas. I am not affiliated with DPD, nor do I have any experience with their products.

NielsenSTL

DPD Productions offers several types of railroad-specific antennas. I am not affiliated with DPD, nor do I have any experience with their products.

I've purchased the DPD Indoor Traintenna and have used it for about a year. I know it's somewhat expensive vs. what you can build yourself or buy elsewhere...but I thought I'd give it a try. It's not too obtrusive in my bedroom, and it's nice because if the wife wants to rearrange the bedroom furniture, it's quite portable. I've very happy with the performance paired with a BC125AT scanner.

Mark in Utah

Status
Not open for further replies.