looking for a long range 400mhz antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zillamania

When i went to Daytona international speedway for the Rolex 24 i took my BCD436 with an 800mhz antenna, it did great other than picking up random blips. so could someone recommend a high dbi 400mhz antenna that i should buy for when I go to the the Wec 1000 & 12hrs of Sebring.
TIA

Ubbe

A race arena are a small area. People usually have to use a very small antenna to not get their scanners overloaded and then loose sensitivity. You tried using the ATT feature to check that you didn't get de-sensed? The users of the 400MHz frequencies must have huge problems if the signal levels where that bad. Most likely your scanner was swamped from all the RF transmitters in the area.

The only way to make an antenna with higher gain are to do it more directive either by only having it receive from one direction or to reduce the signal it receives from the sky and concentrate it more to the horizon. That means that you have to keep the antenna vertically. A portable scanner are often held in you hand with the antenna pointing halfway down to a horizontal position and will then function worse than a non gain antenna that receives well from almost any positions its held.

Upmans test of antennas indicate that all antennas he tested worked better in the 400Mhz range than the stock antenna.
http://massivelyuninformed.me/measuring-relative-antenna-receive-performance/

/Ubbe

Zillamania

A race arena are a small area. People usually have to use a very small antenna to not get their scanners overloaded and then loose sensitivity. You tried using the ATT feature to check that you didn't get de-sensed? The users of the 400MHz frequencies must have huge problems if the signal levels where that bad. Most likely your scanner was swamped from all the RF transmitters in the area.

The only way to make an antenna with higher gain are to do it more directive either by only having it receive from one direction or to reduce the signal it receives from the sky and concentrate it more to the horizon. That means that you have to keep the antenna vertically. A portable scanner are often held in you hand with the antenna pointing halfway down to a horizontal position and will then function worse than a non gain antenna that receives well from almost any positions its held.

Upmans test of antennas indicate that all antennas he tested worked better in the 400Mhz range than the stock antenna.
http://massivelyuninformed.me/measuring-relative-antenna-receive-performance/

/Ubbe
Thanks I'll turn on ATT when I go.

D

dtx-120

When i went to Daytona international speedway for the Rolex 24 i took my BCD436 with an 800mhz antenna, it did great other than picking up random blips. so could someone recommend a high dbi 400mhz antenna that i should buy for when I go to the the Wec 1000 & 12hrs of Sebring.
TIA

I own of these Smiley antennas and use it with a TYT MD-380 HT radio 5/8 Slim Duck 440 MHZ

The overall length (including connector) is six inches, it's flexible so you won't get poked in the ribs with it, and it can be ordered with whichever style of antenna connector is used on BCD436. I ordered mine with a BNC connector and use BNC adapter plugs on my HT radios so I can use this antenna with my WS-1080 scanner, or swap it to my other handhelds with ease.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.