Looking for a longer USB cord

Status
Not open for further replies.

slowthorp76

I'd like to get a longer USB cord for my TRX-1 scanner. Is there anything special I should be looking for? I know the manual says using an incompatible USB cord may damage the scanner. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm a newbie....
Thanks!!

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Scanner Damage?

I don't know which USB cable is right for my radio, a different brand. I would like to hear more about how and why an incorrect USB cable would result in a damaged police scanner damage of any brand.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
I would like to hear more about how and why an incorrect USB cable would result in a damaged police scanner damage of any brand.
So would I...It must have happened to somebody on a freak occasion, they probably complained to the company and demanded a resolution. I've used numerous USB mini cables of different lengths from different sources, I'm sure not all of them originally came from radios & I've never once had a problem with them killing my radios

Blackswan73

There is nothing special about Whistler USB cords. Any standard mini USB will work. I use a 10’ one.

Last edited by a moderator:

bob550

Premium Subscriber
No manufacturer will tell you to "just go ahead and use any cable you care to". Look in any owner's manual for any home electronics product you may own. They all have the same warning about using someone else's cable, battery, or whatever. "Use our cable, product #12345, or your family will turn to dust before your very eyes!"

kh6sz

Premium Subscriber
Like was mentioned before, use an extension cable and use the cable that you normally use, that way there's no way for it to hurt your radio. I've been using a 5' extension cable on all my radios with 0 problems.

Unforgiven_AF

I think all ODMs will offer a USB cable disclosure because of the super cheap cables that you can pick up in any convenience store or grocery checkout aisle. If you get a good, quality USB cable it should work fine. If you get a 3-pack keychain retractible spool with a four way splitter for $0.99 at 7-11, YMMV.

Ed6698

Don't get a cheap cable, I have a 6ft Belkin cable I got several years ago, quality cable IMO. Works great, never have had a connection issue, and it powers my 1080 scanner fine if needed.

LEH

Premium Subscriber
I have a couple of 10' USB cables, micro, mini, and USB-C. I've had no problem with them. Check Amazon if you need different ends (I need the C for my phone, the mini for my 436 and TRX, and micro for my G5), I think they sell a three pack of 10' with each end.

Ravenkeeper

(As stated above) iPhone is one of them that warns against using other USB cords. Bought a 10' (power/data) iPhone (black) cord for mounting my phone to the left of my steering wheel, works GREAT, and have had NO ISSUES. Have even used the "99¢ Store special," with no issues on phones and tablets.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
(As stated above) iPhone is one of them that warns against using other USB cords. Bought a 10' (power/data) iPhone (black) cord for mounting my phone to the left of my steering wheel, works GREAT, and have had NO ISSUES. Have even used the "99¢ Store special," with no issues on phones and tablets.
A genuine "lightning" cord, whether from Apple, or a well known third party vendor, such as Anker, has a chip in it to help protect the device being powered. A straight thru card, no chip and not labeled as 'MFI', may not be recognized or work with an iPhone or iPad.

TexScan780D

Premium Subscriber
Well I brought several 6 foot USB cables from Amazon for my TRX-2 and 1095. I had problems with the cables, so I used the cables that came with the scanner and did not have any problems.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Well I brought several 6 foot USB cables from Amazon for my TRX-2 and 1095. I had problems with the cables, so I used the cables that came with the scanner and did not have any problems.
I've also bought a number of mini-USB cables from Amazon, used on the later model Uniden scanners as well as the TRX-1, and have had no problems. But I stick with more recognized brands, rather than whoever is the cheapest at that moment.

Either you ended up getting a bad batch, or the actual source vendor was not selling correct product.

Status
Not open for further replies.