• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Looking for a lot of advice: CB and GMRS install in a Wrangler

Status
Not open for further replies.

JK_Willys_18

Hey! Sorry about the silence.

It took Antenna Farm almost 2 months to get the GMRS antenna to me. So, I had a lot of time to sit around and rethink things. This pic is how it currently sits / runs. Haven't had any kind of problems or interference. Sound quality is great and the range seems pretty far (haven't strictly tested for range yet.)

I have a coworker that made me some custom mounts so I can move the antennas even further up the hood, closer to the hood latches. The downside, he made them out of a coated aluminum. I have another friend that does powder coating who can sand-blast them to get the coating off without tearing them up. I think I'm heading up his way next weekend to finally tie a bow on this project.

Attachments

• jkk1.jpg
    jkk1.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 46

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
Ahh. Looks good and the performance should be rather good.

I was going to do that until I realized that advertising expensive radio gear in a softtop JK is never a good idea. I've been meaning to install a steel rear bumper, swingaway tire carrier, and mount for a couple of antennas; I simply haven't been willing to drop $1,200 or more to do it. DIY projects this time of year aren't a great idea either.

JK_Willys_18

Ahh. Looks good and the performance should be rather good.

I was going to do that until I realized that advertising expensive radio gear in a softtop JK is never a good idea. I've been meaning to install a steel rear bumper, swingaway tire carrier, and mount for a couple of antennas; I simply haven't been willing to drop $1,200 or more to do it. DIY projects this time of year aren't a great idea either.

I finally got steel bumpers all around. Instead of a swing arm, I just got Teraflex reinforced hinges and tire carrier. Even that required some customization due to my rear bumper choice.

I'm super happy with my antenna mount choices etc. Being on the fender by the hood, they're easy to get to. Being NMO mounts I can quickly remove them and put on the rain caps. I run the caps 95% of the time. I only antenna up if I'm off-roading.

And with the radios I installed, they're hidden and out of place.

OH! The last piece, I'm installing an amplified speaker with a Y adapter to the radios. Since I only ever use one at a time, it'll just be for whatever is currently running. Going to install that next weekend too.

Status
Not open for further replies.