• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Looking for a Mic Adaptor

Status
Not open for further replies.

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
.... for a 6 pin radio. I currently run a Galaxy Echo Desk mic that has a 5 pin connector on it for use with my Cobra 2000 (my cobra is 5 pin, not a 4 pin radio), but I'm getting a new President Grant radio soon and it's got a 6 pin mic on it.

I looked all over ebay and couldn't find a 5-6 pin adaptor just a bunch of 4 pin to 6 pin adaptors.

Am I out of luck on the 5-6 pin adaptor or will I have to rewire the mic to atleast a 4 pin then use the 4-6 pin adaptor?

Dawn

Rather then butcher the mic connector, just buy an in-line male 5 pin and make a pigtail with a 6 pin plug and short length of cable.

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
Rather then butcher the mic connector, just buy an in-line male 5 pin and make a pigtail with a 6 pin plug and short length of cable.

Do you mean something like this
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=291052324003

Only the connection to the radio would be a 6 pin connector?

Guess all I would need then is have the schematics for the 6 pin connecton on the radio correct?

After searching around I think I found what I could get away with.
My 5 pin mic. plugged into this - http://www.durhamradio.com/cobra-uniden-ex5-mic-cord-extension-ontario-canada.html with an ending of http://www.durhamradio.com/c6-6-pin-mic-connector-for-rci2950-70-more.html which would then plug into the radio. Correct?

Last edited:

Dawn

Below are examples of the connectors.

5 pin Male mic side

5pin Male Metal Inline Microphone Mic Connector Jack 5e | eBay

6 pin Female radio side

Female 6 Pin Microphone Plug with Locking Ring 70006 | eBay

The Cobra pinout is:----- The Grant/Magnum 6pin pinout is:

cobra pin 1 mic audio----- Grant pin 1 mic audio
cobra pin 2 Mic shield----- Grant pin 2 RX
cobra pin 3 RX----- Grant pin 3TX
cobra pin 4 Ground----- Grant pin 4 up/down or no connection
cobra pin 5 TX------ Grant pin 5 ground
Grant pin 6 13.2v

Since your base mic has no up/down control, is a dynamic mic and needs no bias, buying connectors similar to the above from Workman or some other source, wire as follows

1 cobra to 1 Grant
2 cobra to 5 Grant
3 cobra to 2 Grant
4 cobra to 5 Grant
5 cobra to 3 Grant

The cobra hypothetically has a separate mic shield from radio ground which is NOT the chassis and for practical purposes can be connected together and probably is in most mics. Buying the in-line cobra male connector and through a piece of cable with 4 wires and a shield connect as above. If you can't solder, any shop should be able to do this. The connector on the grant is the same connector pinout as the Magnum 257, but doesn't use the up/down function of pin 4 or the 13.2V for the up/down and condenser mic bias. If someone is selling a 5 pin cobra to 6 pin Magnum pre-wired adapter, it should work, otherwise check with a shop to make one for you or find a local ham can do this for you.

Last edited:

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
From what I gather this is what I'm dealing with. Sorry not a technical person when it comes to wiring mics. I should be able to get someone around here to do it for me. Btw, it's the President Grant 2 that we're looking at. :)

Mic - Wiring is near the bottom of the link.
Galaxy Desk Power / Echo / Roger beep Microphone Review

The radio is here -- http://www.president-electronics.com/en/The_CB_Radios/Fiche_produit.php?REF=TXMU510

Turn to pg. 52 of the pdf manual http://www.president-electronics.com/documents/manuel/CB/Grant_II_ASC_FR_EN_ES_PL.pdf for wiring of the mic on the radio itself.

Last edited:

Dawn

This is for the Grant 2 as it's the only Grant that used the 6 pin mic and from the President website with two variations that are backwards compatible without up/down or condenser microphones. Only difference is 2 of the pins aren't used as no voltage is needed for the mic element nor the up/down function. Pinout on theirs and the Magnum 257 is the same otherwise. You can plug in a dynamic Grant into an Electret Magnum and it will work without the up/down or need for voltage to the mic which is a resistor and capacitor inside the electret version of the mic to be backward compatible, therefore not used.

It might be cheaper to take a 5 pin extension cord like you posted and change one end to the 6 pin connector or order the connectors from Chinese vendors instead of domestically and wait 3 weeks if you're not in a hurry. Might even be cheaper to just change the mic connector if you never have any plans to go back or if the mic was originally wired for the cobra, it would lose value on resale to another buyer. I personally don't recommend changing mic connectors, but will rewire a mic with a new cord and connector. There's plenty of vendors like Redman and DrDuck that will sell you a bargain factory new 4 pin standard cobra already installed on a cable for $8 USD removed from a new replacement mic for one of their custom builds that can be wired into the mic a lot easier then the cable end and use a $5 adapter. That way, you still have the original cable with connector that can be easily returned to the mic and not lower it's value. Plenty of chop shops just itching to make a quick buck off you with a few touches of a soldering iron as it's about all they know how to do besides butcher radios with dubious mods. You'd probably save more in the long run just buying a soldering iron and do the above yourself and learn something.

Your decision.

Dawn

Does the unit allow for opening it up an reassigning the pin to pin connections? That would be a great idea.

In the past, I've made up several commercial and amateur adapters based around the Icom 8 pin microphones and 4 pin cobra using the in-line pigtail method above with good results. That keeps my bench mics down to primarly a 4 pin dynamic cobra style with workman and home made adapters and an Icom HM-31 to several adapters using pigtails for condenser mics. Outside some odd proprietary connectors for older Standard, GE, and Motorola that I rarely use anymore, I have two bins of older mics that aren't worth the bother making an adapter or for other reasons aren't readily adaptible such as high impedance or balanced outputs without adding in a transformer.

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
After getting the required pieces, We tried to wire it up tonight however it didn't work. Nothing blew up :p but it didn't work, however, I forgot about this thread here altogether and should've looked at it when we were doing it, because I could've tried what Post 5 had stated. I haven't done that yet.

On my 5 pin coming from the Galaxy Desk Mic, it's wired as such. This is the connector that's on the desk mic.

1 - White
2 - Open
3 - Red
4 - Black
5 - Blue

However this website shows it differently

Galaxy Desk Power / Echo / Roger beep Microphone Review

It says -
WIRING INFORMATION:
White--Audio
Red--Transmit
Yellow--Receive (Black--Receive)
Shield--Ground

I don't see a yellow wire.

So this is how I wired it (* Make note, it did not work)

On my inline cable.
On the 5 pin Male I put:

1 - White
2 - Open
3 - Red
4 - Black
5 - Blue

On the 6 Pin Female Which connects to the radio:
1 - White
2 - Black
3 - Red
4 - Open
5 - Blue
6 - Open

Basically:

1 Cobra to 1 Grant
2 Open
3 Cobra to Grant 3
4 Cobra to Grant 2
5 Cobra to Grant 5

Also note, the inline cable actually has 5 wires, not 4, the 5th wire is not colour coded. So we just snipped it short and didn't use it. I take it, this is wrong?

The manual for the President Grant 2 radio can be downloaded here:
http://www.president-electronics.com/documents/manuel/CB/Grant_II_ASC_FR_EN_ES_PL.pdf&lg=EN

The mic wiring diagram is on Pg. 52.

1 - Modulation
2 - RX
3 - TX - Up/Down
4 - Open
5 - Ground
6 - Power Supply

I can only assume that as stated in Post 5 (Dawn) that's quoted here:

1 cobra to 1 Grant
2 cobra to 5 Grant
3 cobra to 2 Grant
4 cobra to 5 Grant
5 cobra to 3 Grant

Will be the correct way to wire this Galaxy Desk Mic so I can use it on this radio?

Please excuse me on this also, this is my first time trying to wire a mic for a radio, I've never done this before, but as long as it's explained to me, I should get it.

Below are examples of the connectors.

5 pin Male mic side

5pin Male Metal Inline Microphone Mic Connector Jack 5e | eBay

6 pin Female radio side

Female 6 Pin Microphone Plug with Locking Ring 70006 | eBay

The Cobra pinout is:----- The Grant/Magnum 6pin pinout is:

cobra pin 1 mic audio----- Grant pin 1 mic audio
cobra pin 2 Mic shield----- Grant pin 2 RX
cobra pin 3 RX----- Grant pin 3TX
cobra pin 4 Ground----- Grant pin 4 up/down or no connection
cobra pin 5 TX------ Grant pin 5 ground
Grant pin 6 13.2v

Since your base mic has no up/down control, is a dynamic mic and needs no bias, buying connectors similar to the above from Workman or some other source, wire as follows

1 cobra to 1 Grant
2 cobra to 5 Grant
3 cobra to 2 Grant
4 cobra to 5 Grant
5 cobra to 3 Grant

The cobra hypothetically has a separate mic shield from radio ground which is NOT the chassis and for practical purposes can be connected together and probably is in most mics. Buying the in-line cobra male connector and through a piece of cable with 4 wires and a shield connect as above. If you can't solder, any shop should be able to do this. The connector on the grant is the same connector pinout as the Magnum 257, but doesn't use the up/down function of pin 4 or the 13.2V for the up/down and condenser mic bias. If someone is selling a 5 pin cobra to 6 pin Magnum pre-wired adapter, it should work, otherwise check with a shop to make one for you or find a local ham can do this for you.

Dawn

I'm sorry, but I'm totally confused by what you're asking. Did you wire it up by my suggestion or didn't?
I don't go by wire colors, without the actual mic and documentation that comes with it, it's meaningless. I just go by the functions indicated shown in the manual and match them up to a standard cobra 5 pin mic pinout. It would be advantageous to obtain a vom/dvm to test for continuity to confirm the wire connections rather then follow colors that may or may not be applicable to your particular microphone.

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
Yeah kinda I guess you could say I was going by colours, and basically opened up the 5 pin on the desk mic to see what was located where, and went from there.

Like I said, I had forgotten about this thread until after we had worked on this, and my friend that was helping me with this had already gone home.

I'm gonna re-try this, hopefully tomorrow if not later this week, and I will write down what you had originally suggested and try it that way.

I'm sorry, but I'm totally confused by what you're asking. Did you wire it up by my suggestion or didn't?
I don't go by wire colors, without the actual mic and documentation that comes with it, it's meaningless. I just go by the functions indicated shown in the manual and match them up to a standard cobra 5 pin mic pinout. It would be advantageous to obtain a vom/dvm to test for continuity to confirm the wire connections rather then follow colors that may or may not be applicable to your particular microphone.

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber

Thanks for the help with this. Was able to wire it properly and test it out tonight. Works perfectly. ;) Again thanks.

k8krh

If you ever want an adaptor go to e bay and look for cw-man, if the item not shown e mail him he will make it.

DOCTOR 795

Dawn

I don't understand sometimes how ebay works when you can't located something that you either know is there and use the proper search terms or the sellers exact name.

Have to admit, this guy isn't getting rich or gouging like a lot of them. Just figuring the price of the connectors on some of his non-modular connectors in bulk lots of 5 or 10 ordered from China and his time, that's probably below what I'd charge even though I'm retired and not commanding a bench hour rate.

Sixteen bucks is below fair on average and ridiculously cheap if he's sourcing the in-line connector sides from stateside importers like workman. He's probably making a bit back on the modular connectors due to how cheap they are and just a crimp job that's fast and easy if you know what you're doing. If his work is good, he ought to be a sticky note as a permanent referral at those prices. Nice to see that someone isn't taking advantage of users that can't do this themselves, but at the same time, I like to see an honest guy make an honest profit. From the looks of his overall store prices, he's not making that much on top of anything and on top of that, he's not making anything on shipping either. He just must love what he's doing because I really can't see how he's justifying a profit after e-bay's fees.

Status
Not open for further replies.