Looking for a moble/base radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

kg5ubq

I am looking for starter mobile/base that is simple to program. I purchased BTech UV-50x2 with PC04 cable to program. Spent countless hours trying to program without success. I have 2 HT BF-F8HP's and they were easy to program. Unfortunately I do need to keep cost down I am looking for starter mobile/base that is simple to program.

prcguy

RT Systems software and a cable will cost more than many of the Chinese radios they program. In most cases, free Chirp and a $6 programming cable from Ebay will do the same thing for a lot less.

Otherwise I have a very inexpensive ($80 range) Jetstream JT270MH dual band radio that is easy for me to program from the front panel and it comes with programming software and cable.
prcguy

Have you tried the RT Systems software for your radio?

Usually, the major brand Japanese radios are more intuitive to program then the Chinese branded radios.

My $0.02

---ladn

methusaleh

The title and message is a bit misleading.

Do you want a mobile radio that can also be used as a base, for instance bring it in the house and use it with a power supply? That's what I think you are asking.

Or do you want two radios, one mobile, one base station?

Or a radio that was designed strictly as a base station, with an AC/DC converter in your vehicle so that you can use it while mobile? I've seen it done before, though space can be an issue.

ermin

I am looking for starter mobile/base that is simple to program. I purchased BTech UV-50x2 with PC04 cable to program. Spent countless hours trying to program without success. I have 2 HT BF-F8HP's and they were easy to program. Unfortunately I do need to keep cost down I am looking for starter mobile/base that is simple to program.

I have a UV-25x2 and think it is a great radio for the price. I use the PC04 cable and the current version of Chirp and find that it programs the same as my UV5R & UV82.
Not sure if the 50 programs differently by try the latest build of Chirp before you give up.

Ermin

k6cpo

RT Systems software and a cable will cost more than many of the Chinese radios they program. In most cases, free Chirp and a $6 programming cable from Ebay will do the same thing for a lot less.

Otherwise I have a very inexpensive ($80 range) Jetstream JT270MH dual band radio that is easy for me to program from the front panel and it comes with programming software and cable.
prcguy

In the case of an eBay cable, you are up against the old adage "you get what you pay for." The RT Systems software and cables work and work well. In addition, because they are a US based company, customer service is readily available if needed.

A good, reliable, easy-to-program mobile radio is the Yaesu FT-7900R. The only downside is that the cost may be outside one's budget.

spongella

Premium Subscriber
You might want to go with an older Japanese radio (Yaesu, Icom, Kenwood, Alinco) in the used market if you can't afford a newer model, being sure to get a hold of the op manual with programming instructions. As far as being "easy" to program, that depends on the person. The older models can be manually programmed but you need to follow the step-by-step instructions. Buying used is also riskier, remember that.

The trend with the newer radios is programming via a cable and software. Cables can cost extra so factor that in the price.

Vintage models like the Kenwood TR-7400 had no "programming" but also lacked PL tone capability. If buying used for repeater use make sure the radio has tone capability or can be retrofitted with a tone board

Most mobiles can also be used as a base as long as you have the right power supply and antenna.

Go on eham.net for reviews of different FM xcvrs to get an idea.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
After reading the numerous posts on problems with the CCRs and their programming problems, I would never recommend any of them for a first HH or mobile/base, no matter how poor the amateur is. One of the big three are seldom ever posted here as being a problem programming FPP or using RT, or Chirp. I have a problem with chirp because of all the different versions. I use RT because they work. I don't have to worry about version or correct cable. When I look at radios, there is always a low cost amateur radio from most of the Big Four VHF, UHF, VHF/UHF analog that will work. Plus you don't have to worry about illegally transmitting out of band. Just review GigaParts, Universal Radio or any other supplier for a good reasonably priced mobile. If you want to use it on base, will need a power supply.

AI7PM

Premium Subscriber
After reading the numerous posts on problems with the CCRs and their programming problems, I would never recommend any of them for a first HH or mobile/base, no matter how poor the amateur is. ...............

Good post. These, so called, entry level radios only seem to offer low price and headaches.

SCPD

QRT
I would strongly encourage a kenwood/yaseu 2m or 2m/70cm mobile..

i personally run kenwoods, 281's in my shack and for my field ops, and atm-v71 as a mobile in my suv.

well built, easy to program, free software, just need cable and you are off to the races....

https://www.gigaparts.com/kenwood-tm-281a.html

Kenwood TM-281A
High power 65W output
• Weather Alert
• Large Front Speaker
• Vivid amber LCD display with 32-step brightness control
• 200 memory channels, plus one call channel
• 6 alphanumeric characters offers 100 memory channels
• Multiple scan functions
• CTCSS & DCS Encoder/Decoder
• U.S. MIL-STD 810 C/D/E/F/G

Attachments