Looking for a new digital scanner with remote head

Status
Not open for further replies.

iceman977th

Feed Provider
I'm replacing my trusty Radioshack Pro-197 in my truck with something different, and preferably remote head, as I'm building a console to mount a few mobile radios & a scanner in my truck. I know the 996XT's have the remote head, but is there one for the new 436/536HP scanners, or will the same head work for them?

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Unfortunately the remote head for the Uniden 996XT doesn't work with the 536. I wish it did, as I have the remote head in my truck from when I had the 996XT, before replacing it with the 536.

I'm understand Uniden is much closer to working out the issues with the WiFi Dongle and Siren App. Once all this falls into place, the Siren App would function as a remote head for the 536 scanner.

Recently I took a multi-state road trip. It was a little difficult reaching into my truck console to change things on the radio. I've got another trip coming up in a month and got every finger and toe crossed that the dongle/app stuff is in place by then.

iceman977th

Feed Provider
Unfortunately the remote head for the Uniden 996XT doesn't work with the 536. I wish it did, as I have the remote head in my truck from when I had the 996XT, before replacing it with the 536.

I'm understand Uniden is much closer to working out the issues with the WiFi Dongle and Siren App. Once all this falls into place, the Siren App would function as a remote head for the 536 scanner.

Recently I took a multi-state road trip. It was a little difficult reaching into my truck console to change things on the radio. I've got another trip coming up in a month and got every finger and toe crossed that the dongle/app stuff is in place by then.

That sucks to hear. I may just bite and get the 536 then. Doesn't look like it takes up a whole lot of room.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
The 536 is the same size as the 996XT. When I migrated from the 996XT to the 536, all I had to do was unbolt the scanner and disconnect the cables. Then stuck the new one there and re-connected the cables - the cables are the same for both scanners.

The 536 decodes simulcast systems a whole lot better than the 996XT did and I really like that I can "re-program" the scanner by popping out the SD card and taking it to my computer. With the 996XT, I had to take a laptop to the vehicle, connect the cables, start the vehicle and leave it running for however long it to the revised program to load.

The only present "beef" I have is no remote head capabilities, but I've got faith that will be resolved before too much longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.