Looking for a new scanner ( planning to add a discrim tap)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Currently my main system I scan is a aging EDACS system ( Edmonton, Alberta). However I only have a pro-95 that does the job currently . However there is a new province P25 ( tests ran come through as P1) system being built out in the 770mhz range

I have been scanning with cheap RTL sdr dongles and have been finding many digital signals . I have had some success decoding with DSD+ but my cheap dongles have some drift and can be finicky at times.

What I am looking for is a scanner that has 700mhz range and a simple enough to add discriminator tap so I can do decoding of the dmr and nexedge near me . Now right now I'm looking to go cheap so I have been looking at a Bct15x that I know is analog but has the 770mhz the new system will be in . in the future i was thinking I could use a cheap dongle park it on a P25 cc and have it control the analog scanner which with the tap would be decoded on the PC . Note I could use two dongles for that and keep the analog scanner for conventional systems.

That being said if there is a cheap enough digital scanner that has 770mhz ish range , can do P25 P1 I could save up a bit and just get that. Also I scan at a desk 99.99% of the time . I like buttons to manually put In numbers quick ( for trunking systems I'll be doing that via software) , but if the scanner can be computer controlled that would be cool .

bailly2

no digital scanners are cheap, unless you can find a used model for under $300. whistler ws1080 and gre psr 800 have built in discriminator taps (psr 800 only available used) . both can decode p25 phase 2

SCPD

QRT
Can you computer control the whistler ? The discriminator tap on those is through a special cable on the headphone port ? I am on mobile and do t have the rebranded GRE to whistler model numbers down yet. $300-$350 is my budget

Status
Not open for further replies.